FRP MOT emissions fail

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey s

Hi all,

Having difficulty getting the FRP through the emissions test.

Has always struggled getting through but for some reason this year is proving too difficult. I had a sports cat replaced on it 5 or so years ago and usually a good warm up helps get it through the test.

Has the Cat failed or is failing? or can anyone think of any ideas that may help please?

Thanks

Mike

Assuming you have no OBD codes...

You could try an additive to your fuel system like this stuff:
https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/news/how-to-reduce-your-emissions-for-an-mot/
I would do one or two complete cycles of fuel cleaning with that stuff before testing. Include some nice prolonged high RPM runs to maximize the flow.

-Seafoam treatment in your fuel system, oil system, and intake system all work wonders for chemically cleaning things up. Theres plenty of information on youtube about how to use it if your not sure. Follow the directions on the can for the oil system, but I wouldn't hesitate to run a full can through the gas tank and another full can through the intake.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Foam-E...qid=1616783440&sprefix=seafoam,aps,226&sr=8-1

-Fresh oil change might help by passing cleaner gasses through the PCV system. This can be done in conjunction with a seafoam treatment.
-Clean up your intake manifold and entire intake tract to reduce contaminates. (Seafoam again can help with this but taking it apart and mechanically cleaning is more complete.)
-If they do the test on a "wheels rolling" setup (I'm not familiar with your testing) then max out your tire air pressure before testing to reduce the rolling resistance.
-Fresh PCV valve. If the car is burning oil, consider putting an oil catch can in the PCV lines.
-Thinner oils reduce the loading on your engine.
-Get tested on a cool day with a nice hot engine. Really run the RPMS high for several minutes before getting tested...Run on the fastest road in your area in third gear for five or ten miles to really blast everything out.

Hi Mikey
Find a friendlier MOT place. Bcause the CAT is further away than normal on a Puma it needs to be warmed up a lot more than normal to get through the MOT. Mine is the same as an FRP in layout so my tester lets me give it about 3500 revs on the gas tester to warm it up before the emission tests start.
It's legitemetly been through for the last few years now

H iMikey

Barry's advice is correct as this has always been a common requirement with FRP's

tuonokid said:
Mine is the same as an FRP in layout so my tester lets me give it about 3500 revs on the gas tester to warm it up before the emission tests start

However.
[/quote] what would be useful is for you to state what the readings were that caused the fail, because I might then be able point you in the right direction as to what the possible cause's is.

State whether it failed on the idle test or fast idle test . & which readings were a failure .
Lambda (o2), HC or CO?

mmc757 said:
-If they do the test on a "wheels rolling" setup (I'm not familiar with your testing) then max out your tyre air pressure before testing to reduce the rolling resistance.
Furthermore there is no MOT garage in the UK that does an underload rolling test , the emissions test is static only.
The rollers are used purely for the brake test readings.

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

I must admit the guy who tested it the second time wasn't my usual guy I take it too and I did warn him it would need a good warm up as it struggles with emissions.

It failed first time round because of the handbrake cable but as they were booked up, I had the handbrake cable repaired by another garage who gets their mot done by somebody else.

The Defects on the first testwere:
Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))

And the second test:
Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))

This 2nd fast idle has reoccurred o Both tests.

If you meant the Actual level readings I can try and ask the tester?

What I did notice when I got the car home was when the engine was running at idle, when I go to rev the car and release, the revs would drop well below and stutter or perhaps stall. After reading some topics on here I gave the MAF a good clean and that seems to have resolved the dipping revs.

Could the MAF be at fault for the high emissions?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, had exactly the same experience when I recently took my FRP for an MOT. It failed on exactly the same point as yours and even the revs dropped and the engine would stutter or stall.
In the end I took it to Chris at Allison Automotive who fitted it with a new Lamdba Sensor and then took it to his regular FRP MOT test station. The car sailed straight through with no advisories 😀

the old gimmer said:
Hi Mike, had exactly the same experience when I recently took my FRP for an MOT. It failed on exactly the same point as yours and even the revs dropped and the engine would stutter or stall.
In the end I took it to Chris at Allison Automotive who fitted it with a new Lamdba Sensor and then took it to his regular FRP MOT test station. The car sailed straight through with no advisories 😀

Was yours throwing up a code at all before the sensor got changed?

Hi,

Mine recently needed a retest with similar issues due to a faulty coolant temp sensor.
Using Forscan it was always at 34c, no error codes were shown.

Ben.

If your car has failed the MOT on emissions , you are supposed to receive a printout of the readings . That is standard practice in the industry.

It is impossible to correctly diagnose this without the readings.

But as a starting point,

A clogged airfilter or engine oil that has not been changed for a long time can cause high CO readings.

After replacing the above In addition run some Wynns injection cleaner through the system neat, i.e 1/2 the bottle to 1/4 tank of fuel. & give it a thrash to blow out the crap from the exhaust.

What was the O2 readings (Lambda) readings?

As if they were within the upper and lower readings then the Lambda sensor is not faulty.

Update - after cleaning the MAF and the air filter and also running cataclean additive to the fuel, I took it back for another MOT to my usual garage and it passed.

He did say it scraped through on emissions and again, Sorry I forgot to ask for the results.

Latest posts

Back