Help replacing levelling motor

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyDawg

Hi. Normally I wouldn't post here, but I'm in a bit of a pickle as I need to take my car to the MOT tomorrow and I need to replace the headlamp levelling motor. Problem is, I can't reach it. I know there's a guide here /viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10186 on how to disassemble the unit but I can't quite get past one of the steps (where it says "pull 2 swivel push-fittings from their sockets to remove lens assembly from housing.")

I tried to pull firmly but it won't budge. I don't want to break the bloody thing. How hard can/should I push?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but I'm really knackered today...

Damit, just broke one of the swivel fittings...

The connector to the motor...do I just pull that sucker off?

I'm on a series of a f. ups here. I just noticed the motor I bought is not the same as the original. The original shaft is smaller than the new one. Apart from that they seem the same. Any idea if the shaft can be transplanted? Thanks.

Not sure about your motor problems or queries. But if you are worried about the level of your lights you can move them manually.

Been a while but I think you just need an allen key (or a 10mm socket?) to turn the adjusters on the lights themselves.

Thanks for reply, yippee. This is the 2nd time I'm taking the car to the MOT and the guy told me I needed both levelling motors working. I've heard people saying you just need to have lights properly adjusted. Maybe the fella didn't like my mug...
An extra problem I'm having is the motor I bought doesn't seem to be working well, it just makes a continuous grinding sound, so I won't go ahead with the transplant. Bugger...

Sounds like you had an evening of it! The push fittings are tight in there. Did you get a bosch motor as a replacement? I doubt you'd be able to swap the parts across on them.

red said:
Sounds like you had an evening of it! The push fittings are tight in there. Did you get a bosch motor as a replacement? I doubt you'd be able to swap the parts across on them.

It was bleedin' awful. Made me feel like King Midas in reverse: everything I thought turned to manure...I did get a Bosch motor but the original is an AL (Automotive Lighting) unit. They look pretty much the same, even the part number is practically the same.

SleepyDawg said:
It was bleedin' awful. Made me feel like King Midas in reverse: everything I thought turned to manure...

I had this feeling earlier today. One of the light bulbs in my lounge popped this morning, when I went to replace it part of the surround just fell off. I tried gently pulling another section of it and it too just grumbled in my hand - weird thing is, I was damn sure the surrounds were glass :shock:

On the bright side, the new bulb has better spread now so I removed the other 2 bulbs to save on electricity & can't tell the difference :lol:

Latest posts

Back