Very weird engine noise...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalpuma

Help! Today I was pulling out of a side turning, had just got into 2nd when the engine suddenly sounded like a piston had fallen off (no better way of explaining it but clunky?), no power, 2 secs later all was well again, got into 3rd and then no problem all the way home (only 2 miles though). Since then the engine has had time to cool down and oil is on the minimum mark.

Any ideas as it seems really strange to me that it could go from sounding VERY broken to 100% fine??

Oh no poor Nancy!

:(

Check for signs of head gasket issues. Oil in water and a 'creamy gunk' around the oil filler rim. I have heard that noise before on a different car, like a fork being dragged over a radiator? Sadly the noise started at 70mph on the mway and it blew. Could be simply the ABS, on Pips it checks itself in cold weather and this also makes a odd grumble noise.
Than again it could be nothing - I have learnt that Pumas dont like the cold weather!

Could be a simple ignition problem too. Check your HT leads are not loose on the spark plugs and coil pack causing Nancy to only fire on 3 cylinders for a second.

The I was going to go with a firing related issue when I read your description.

If one cylinder isn't firing properly it can make the car sound like a right tank.

sounds like coilpack/lambda sensor/maf problem to me, oil could just be coincidentally low when did you last check it as fine?

if your oil is very low it could be causing problems with the VCT as this is oil driven, try topping it up and see

Oil is not and has never been low. I plan to jack it up at work tomorrow so I can just have a look from the underneath. Otherwise I don't have a clue what I am looking at so might have to wait and see if it happens again!

Thanks for ideas all!

Latest posts

Back