blowing fuses!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrisg

Whilst going round a roundabout my 1.4 puma lost all power and refused to start agqin, not even turning over, in the engine bay there was a 15a fuse blown so i replaced it and it blew straigut away, I've tried upping the currwnt rating to 30a, where it turned over started and idled for about half a second before blowing again. I'm not sure which fuse it is, but I think its the engine management fuse.

Any ideas? I'm currently stranded about seven miles from home and I need the car tomorrow!

Thanks!

As an added note, the air con light in the car won't go out.

Please help!

Thanks for the replies guys, turns out the coil pack power cable was shorting out somewhere, as evident by the smoke comin from the engine bay when it finally started! Drove it back ten miles with no further snags apparent.

As for the fan motor, it may well possibly be seized, as I've never seen or heard it working.

Now the radio won't turn back on, the fuse in the cockpit is fine, is there another fuse in the engine bay around the engine management fuse?

Cheers!

P0115 ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Circuit Malfunction.

On later Puma, I have:
Fuse 19 (10 amp, Red) covering EEC module, Radio, Central locking module.
Fuse 22 (10 amp, Red) covering Diagnostic plug, Radio.

Cheers, I'll do that when the engine has cooled down, there has been a coolant leak since I bought it, but I have just been topping it up when it reaches minimum.

Well I checked the fan and it's spinning freely, also got the radio working.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Just as a final check. Run the engine up to see if the fan kicks in, when it does then you know the fan is ok. If it gets to temperature and tries to kick in resulting in a blown fuse then you know where the trouble lies. The fuse that blew on mine was under the bonnet. A big Maxi blade 60amp one.

Hi all, i recently acquired a Silver 1.7 1998 Puma.....
Sorry for my first post to be a negative one but i had a breakdown last night and while waiting to
be recovered i found this thread which at first describes all my problems i had...

The puma cut out while driving and i pulled over, luckily it was a quiet suburban road!
I knew the car had issues with blowing fuse 28 (engine management) before so i started by checking that, which had blown. I put a new 15a fuse in, turned the ignition on and it blew. I put a 30a fuse in and it blew again. Tried disconnecting various things that i might think would cause the short and every time it just blew the fuse.
Also noted that the air con button light is staying on, cannot be turned off.
I have tried doing an ecu reset to no luck.
At one point during the break down the alarm horn was trying to sound when i was turning the key in
the ignition. This makes me think that it could be an immobiliser fault? Am i right in thinking that runs off fuse 28 with the ecu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i just want to get it back on the road as i love driving it!

Cheers

Rich

All sorted now, turned out to be the speedo wire had rubbed on the gearbox and worn through, causing it to earth out.
Back to the other problems now!

Glad to hear you got it sorted, I hate worn wires! My bike is full of them!! (Had a similar fuse blowing incident)

Yes exactly same problem with mine 1.7 98 puma.
AC lamp stays ON, Blowing fuse 28 15Amp when I turn ignition key to position 2 which I realized later. Also fuel pump does not start and there is no power to the ecu.I both a second hand MUFF ecu with transponder since I thought the ecu was shorting...
I disconected the spedometer (and new fuse installed) as discodick82 had found out and the car started at last. The wires to the spedo had lost their insulation at the connector and were shorting.

I want to add if you change the ecu you only need the correct ecu and transponder in the ignition key. Now I have two working ECUs...
I want to thank the forum and the good people sharing their knowledge. Thank you.

Hello guys,
Sorry to raise up this quite old thread, but I wanted as a start to thank you all. I had indeed fuse 28 blowing a few days ago and you helped me getting out of this mess. So , thank you !
I'm French, 50 years old, and new owner of a Puma 1.7 1998 reg. I bought it a couple of weeks before as an occasionnally driven car but it's so nice I can't help myself running it.
3 days ago engine stopped whilst driving. Just had time enough to get parked. Then, no starter, no fuel pump, nothing and fuse 28 blowing each time I turned power on.
couldn't find any clue, any tip on internet until I got to projectpuma, desperately looking into with keywords "Fuse 28 blowing". And then, you know what followed.
I wondered then why mecanic speedo clocks needed electrical wire from sensor to the ECU?
I guess that's for ECU control iddle when slowing down and stop. Am I wrong?
cheers,
Pierre.

Welcome Pierre,

I dont know the answer to your question but I would assume to that it is for some ECU functionality

Glad it sounds like you resolved your issue :grin:

Latest posts

Back