Changing Temp Sender

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggi0101

Further to my post regerding the thermostat looks like i going to be changing the temp sender :evil:

Looking at it am i right in thinking the coil pack needs taking off to get access to it ? then unclip, unscrew sender and replace ?

Looks like my wifes little treat for herself is gonna make me grey.....oh hold on its all fell out already :lol:

cheers

The temp sensor under the coil pack is for the coolant and I believe it is 'in a round about way' connected to the ECU for the radiator fan control.

I THINK there may be another temp sensor somewhere for the tempature guage on the dash... but DON'T quote me on it!! :roll:

Excellent... one thing knocked off the list...! :lol:

Hopefully gonna be worth it, car itself is quite tidy for a S plate, only 1 tiny rust bubble on nsr arch rest are spot on, no rust around petrol cap no little dings on dents in bodywork, sills all solid and a few little light scratches which im hoping will polish out.

If not i can have a nice shiny garden ornament :lol:

remove coil pack unplug sensor underneath and unscrew.

you will need to drain coolant first

And poke your finger up in the hole, to feel the water pump while your there!

Grrrr had it in garage and thermostat fine lol

just had replaced the HCV and pollen filiter ( filter was black so obviously never been done) and now have hot air....however

now cant turn heat down, blows hot even when turned to cold also anyone know where the temp gauge sender is ?? coolant sensor on engine is fine however temp gauge never moves off cold

cheers

temp guage should move off the cold and sit halfway after about 10 mins of driving, something doesnt sound like its right still

There is the coolant temp sensor and a temp sender sensor. Some pumas dont use the temp sender unit that is located underneath the water housing, but it is still there! The ECU uses the signal from the temp sensor, and sends a signal to the dash clock. Some pumas use the sender sensor for the dash clock and the water temp sensor for the ecu to adjust ignition timing and fuelling. I think its the water temp sensor that does the fan, the ecu reads the temp is hot, and automatically turns the fan on. Im not 100% on that, but i think it went something like that when i was looking into it!

Heres a pic to show you where each sensor goes

TempSensordiagram-1.jpg

Thanks for the pic, at least i know where to look

Yep checked the plug on HCV, unplugged it and plugged back in to be sure......dodgy HCV ?? with knackered solenoid ??

I read the other thread on this and the question asking about whether your interior lights are working,I am assuming its a possibility the HCV and interior lights share a fuse,have you checked you have power at the HCV solenoid. Would the HCV if it has no power fail in the open / heat supplied position ??

Is the HCV definately a Ford unit? has it got Ford logos on it, I would imagine it should have

my fan runs from start up till i turn engine off :? also temp gauge doesnt move on dash

Your right got it confirmed temp sensor is stuffed.. Getting a new one fitted next week.. Think car will be OK to drive till then?

My temp gauge doesn't move, test mode of clocks and all gauges are moving, but the temp read is -40º always, the fun doesn't work untill I disconnect the temp sensor under coil pack.
Thinking was it the problem I changed the old temp sensor with a new one with no result.
Now for starting fun and cooling a bit the engine I need to use A/C, only with this method I can make work the fun... anyone can help me? Sorry my bad english but I'm foreign

Latest posts

Back