Car Stalling when slowing or stopping

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kezzabird

Hi All,

This is the 2nd time i have posted about this problem. The car stalls when slowing down or stopping. I had the icv cleaned and it done the trick for a while then started again so I had a new one fitted, and yet again it went wrong over the weekend. Seems to be when it is wet/damp or i have lots of electrics on. (wipers/heating etc). A friend checked the alternator and said there is significant power loss when everything is on and suggested i take to to be tested at an electrical place.

Any one have any ideas what it may be? I keep throwing money i dont have at getting it fixed. There was a cam solenoid showing last time as a fault but after taking advice it seemed unlikely that was the cause as it was intermitent but any comments on that would be great.

Blonde and upset

K
:cry:

What readings was your friend getting?
Does it start straight away after it's cut out?
Have you /someone over filled it with oil lately, whilst topping up ? as some of it can then get sucked down the valve stem seals & onto the spark plugs and cause it to stall. So it would be worth taking them out to inspect & check the gaps.

Hey Thanks for replying.

I topped it up only last week and its all fine. The spark plugs were replaced before the ICV and my friend looked yesterday and said they looked fine. He said the reading for the alternator was good until i swtiched all things on at the same time and then it just sucked the life out of it....

It does start straight away after and when its cold it starts fine so does not appear to be a battery fault.

:cry:

It's still worth having the battery checked out, even if only to eliminate it as being faulty.

I@f you ask your friend to check the alternator output again and provide me with 3 voltage readings 1) before you start across the battery, 2) reading with engine running, no load e.g lights on etc. 3) voltage with headlights & drear demister and heater on .
From that I will be able to tell you if you have an alternator or battery problem.

In view of the fact that it spins over ok despite the cold weather, I am of the view at this stage that you probably have an alternator fault.

Hi Doh

Thanks for offer of help. I will email him and see if he can remember what it was, if not I will run it over to him. Thanks so much!

:)

Back