Side lights, dash lights and rear head lights not working

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairebarron

Hi - I have looked at a couple of old forum posts to see if I can remedy this situation.
My side lights don't come on, the backlight on the dash isn't working and neither are the rear headlights. :idea:
I've tried WD40 in the control stick and that hasn't worked and I've checked the fuses and they seem good too. (I replaced them for good measure!)
I'm wondering if this is a wiring issue? Perhaps a loose connection somewhere? I'm not sure where to start looking. I don't want to start messing with the wrong wires and turn something else off!

Have you checked the fuses in both fuse boxes? the one to the right of the steering wheel and the one under the bonnet?

If so maybe its a relay needs replacing or the stalks themselves need repalcing

I just looked at the ones under the bonnet - I'll have a look at the other one and replace them. Hopefully it is one of those fuses.
Thanks for that! It is only my second time of trying to fix anything in the car myself, hopefully I'll be a budding mechanic this time next year!

Locate the fusebox inside car on the drivers side,Try Fuse numbers 6&7(bottom row of fusebox, counting from the left) which are both coloured red and rated10amps .I got this info from the owners guide.

The number one job is to identify which set of stalks you have, there are two different kinds and they are not interchangeable so dont buy the wrong ones.

Its just a few phillips screws to remove the ignition cowls some on top some on bottom, and one screw iirc holding the stalks at the top and two electrical connectors to pull out.

Do a search on stalks to see the different ones, If you cant find the difference come back and I'll find it for you

The difference is whether or not you have the programmable intermittent wipe. This came in sometime in 1999, but there isn't a definite cut-off date.

I got the part number and searched for that. So I should have it in the next couple of days.
I've been lucky I've only had to drive back from hockey just as it got dark, so I only had a couple of people flash and honk me. Can't wait to finally fix it.

I need to find all the screws, just go it off enough to see the part numbers. Is there a video somewhere?

This should help somewhat to locate some of the cowl screws but you obviously don't take the steering wheel off.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After that theres just one screw that holds the stalks on at the top iirc, and some simple clips on the electrical connectors to pull them off

It's all fixed the part arrived yesterday and it took 10 minutes to do.
I can't believe a garage want so much

Did a garage do it or you? how much labour did they want?
Glad its sorted whichever :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back