Running on 3 cylinders...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalpuma

...can I safely drive about 250 miles or should I cancel my visit?

I had the spark plugs replaced about 10 days ago and it seemed to fix the issue but it's come back with a vengeance. Car sounds terrible!

Do I risk damaging it further? Really don't want to cancel trip as it involves visiting a sick family member...

Personally I wouldn't take the risk. If nothing else the fuel consumption would be horrendous.

I wouldn't drive it on 3 cylinders if I could help it. Most likely cause is probably the coil pack if all leads and plugs are known ok?

Not take the MX5?

Hi Vix
Remove 4 plugs and check that 1 of the plugs isn't wet or oiled up.If it is, clean up with Carb cleaner
My guess is you probably have spark for the misfiring cylinder arcing out somewhere, this sort of thing occurs due to the damp weather.

Caution, do not touch any of the leads or coil [pack whilst engine is running as they are very high voltage.

whilst engine is running, any spark tracking is easier to see whilst it is dark.
Check for tracking around coil pack . Switch off and ( Clean all black dirt residue between lead posts on coil pack and spray WD40 wipe off . With engine off,Also remove engine cover and check leads aren't tracking to the rocker cover.
Check and spray With WD40 coil pack connector and the wiring loom connector that sits on top of gearbox , (it's next to the connector for the gearbox speed sensor).

Don't drive long distances like this as you will damage the catalytic converter. un burnt fuel will accumulate in it and cause it to glow red hot.

It's probably dead already - shouldn't have driven to Basingstoke either. Zero compression in 4th cylinder. Waiting on verdict (i.e. where it's being lost from) and quote for repair/re-build. Might be a new Puma for breaking soon!

Thanks for the advice DOH, sadly it's too late for that now :(

If your garage is good , there are a couple of things to try without dismantling the engine,that may restore the compression.That could possibly save the car for you. PM if you need further assistance

I have mixed feelings about them at the moment! They still haven't called me about the car after saying they would look at it first thing this morning. OK they're busy but I am sweating here!

They are testing where the leak is first so I will know more soon (hopefully!).

Latest posts

Back