Setting Gear selector issue

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbunny

Hi,

I've recently put on a 4-2-1 manifold and had the gear selector disconnected.

I was getting some crunching in reverse when letting the clutch out after re-fitting so have tried to adjust it.

Following this (Posted by ScubaSteve a few years ago):-

'under car disconnect gear lever rod from selector

slide selector back and forward until you find its central position then turn right and left until you find its central position

using a rod or punch insert into into the hole in the selector shaft and move far forward as poss

get someone to locate the gearstick in roughly the 4th position

using a 9mm drill bit inserted in the hole in the bottom of the gear lever housing to lock in 4th position

connect gear lever rod back to selector'

I get crunching in third now. When I follow this guidance I cannot see the hole in the selector where I'm sure I could before.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ben.

I can't offer any real help other than to say I used that guide when I replaced my gearbox, and it was spot on.

I wouldn't have thought that the selector set up would cause crunching though, just difficulty in selecting the gear. Sounds more like the clutch or the gearbox itself has issues.

to my knowledge, if you fitt it incorectly, you wont find all the gears. if it's crunching in revers (wich it does ocationaly no matter wat it seems) it's more likely that the clutch is biting a little, or that the gear is "stuck" because your holding the brake pedal and it's not able to move as freely as it wants to if you understand my poor way of describing it :)

Cheers for the replies.

My plan of action for this evening is to disconnect the selector and put the gearbox into third. See if it still crunches, if it does then check the fluid level in the box.

If it still crunches then maybe time to cancel the track day on Tuesday. Nothing like a deadline! :?

Hi,

Right.....

I've checked the gearbox fluid and it's good, 1cm below the filler hole.

If I disconnect the gearstick from the box and put the box into third it still crunches when I let the clutch out. (All on axle stands!)

1st, 2nd and reverse are ok.

Should I be able to run the car in 3rd, 4th and 5th up on stands or does it need some load?

Any ideas from anyone?
Could it be the clutch as three of the gears are ok?

Nice timing from the car as I'm booked on a track day this Tuesday!

cheers,

Ben.

Well, you could try the easier thing first - bleed the clutch. Mine crunched into 5th as the syncro died on that gear, but then it was a gradual process, it didn't just start crunching, it got stroppy first.

Hmm..
You`d find low gears and reverse would crunch. not really just 3rd.
Bleeding it may help (with a pressure bleeder) and align the selector again.

It`s weird that it`s swapped gear..

For anyone else reading this to save hassle you can fit a four branch without disconnecting the gear selector as long as you disconnect the bottom stabiliser. This gives you enough room to rock the engine and thread the manifold through from below.
Sorry it's not much help with this post but it may help someone in the future.
Barry

Thanks for the replies.

I'll give it a bleed this evening and see what happens.

With hindsight I'll second 'tuonokid's' advice!

It's tempting to remove the selector to give yourself more room when removing the original cat.
Putting the four branch in is a doddle compared to removing the humungeous OEM CAT!

Update: just bled the clutch and still the same.
I'll get a second opinion on Monday but I reckon the 'box is stuffed.

Latest posts

Back