1.6 keeps cutting out

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallzoo

I am very concerned about my daughter driving her 1.6 puma. She is a great driver but the car is now stalling 5 or 10 times a day. Its always when breaking at say a junction or roundabout. She came in this evening quite shaken as a car nearly went into the back of her

Our local garage says he cant find a problem and said it didnt happen when he drove it..( if he drove it )

She is due to drive to Leicester and birmingham in the next few days and my wife and I are not happy

We are based near sandbach in Cheshire.. Is there anyone that can help urgently with this

Many thanks

Peter

smallzoo said:
[post]348680[/post] She is due to drive to Leicester and birmingham in the next few day
Not in that car, she shouldn't. Hire a small car for her for a week.

Meantime, get a OBDII code reader onto the ECU connector (passenger footwell, left side under the flap) and get the DTC Error codes. Take it to a proper garage, if you have to, but sure don't take back to your 'local garage'! Once we know the codes we'll figure out the fix, which could well be something fairly simple, but simple or not doesn't make that car any less dangerous to drive on busy roads as it is.

Would a clutch switch problem or air valve problem cause an error code ?

I'm sure the 'local garage' said he put a code reader on and it showed no error codes

...and anyone in cheshire that can look at this for me or recommend a good expert ( as you can guess..Im no mechanic ! )

I am almost certain that either of those faulst would not show up on OBD reader. I stand to be corrected though, but I think that it would entirely possible to have no DTC at all

I'd agree there, Idle control valve or clutch switch are most likely culprits, although a bad lambda or TPS could also have the same effect and wouldn't show on an OBD2 scan, however live data from the sensors might show something. Ian G off here is in or around the Liverpool area if that's not too far, and he is very knowledgable on these cars and engines, & would likely have a used part to replace the faulty one. Definitely worth contacting him

Ok thanks to everyone. I found another garage thats done quite a lot of work on the puma's so I'm going to keep these suggestions in mind when they've looked at it and then if in doubt I'll ask you guys again what they say
cheers

yesterday, as my battery was removed, i had to do the relearning :)

well kept it on idle till heated up to normal, then kept at 1200 rev for 2 minutes... not bothering to say that as soon as i pulled out in reverse, dipped the clutch and wanted to go... it cut out... :)) after that i started driving it, and when i went to a full stop with clutch dipped it just dropped the rpm as low as 500... well getting back in shape now :) i don't know if that helps you...

sounds like the crank sensor or / and throttle position sensor

Thanks for the help so far..its now cutting out at least 5 times a day BUT not all days ?

If anyone know what would be the approx cost (parts ) for the crank sensor and throttle sensor ?

Cheers

you could try : https://www.fordpartsuk.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-FORD-FIESTA-KA-FOCUS-MONDEO-PUMA-C-MAX-COURIER-KUGA-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-/160708322125

www.mister-auto.co.uk

have you had the fault codes read? if theres no faults it could also be the ecu or the fuel pump, has the fule filter, air filter been replaced recently

I did have the fault codes read about 4 months ago as the engine managements light is on but no faults are shown ?

On my girlfriend Puma, her puma (1.7) had this problem. I gave the Idle control valve a good clean 1st, but the problem persisted. So i Replaced the Idle control valve and fixed.

Latest posts

Back