Engine cuts out

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfiejohn

Just brought a 2000reg puma black, fuel gauge is all over place so pretty sure I need to replace sender unit, secondly and urgent is that car will run fine but after a while it will lose power like it's run out of fuel, I leave it for awhile then it is fine again then after a few miles it cuts out again, I checked oil and found it was very low and wondered if car has some sort of cut off system to protect it from going bang through lack of engine oil ???? Have had it plugged in and there is no fault codes, engine light does not stay on or is it overheating through lack of coolant, it just dies like it's out of fuel yet it has over half a tank please help as I desperately need my puma on the road, thanks

Hi John?
Only a guess but if the fuel gauge is all over the place and the engine keeps cutting out I would be looking at the live and earth connections to the Fuel pump/gauge sender unit as they are all grouped together.
Barry

I'm going to top up oil in morning owing to finances, I'm pretty sure it could be that wrong as it cuts out when it gets to normal engine temp then the longer you leave it the longer it will run before it cuts out again which would make sense that it's cooling down, I should add that when it is running the engine runs perfectly..

It wasn't the oil :( I've read a lot about engines cutting out but none the same as mine as my car runs fine then it just dies like it has run out of fuel then I'll leave it for abit then it will run fine again it's odd plus when it will run again if I drive at low speed it lasts longer than if I give it abit of throttle ????

Wolfiejohn said:
[post]355429[/post]plus when it will run again if I drive at low speed it lasts longer than if I give it abit of throttle ????
Do you mean if you drive it 'carefully' rather than booting it around..?

If it does it when the engine gets hot, maybe its temperature related hence why it works for longer if you drive it 'carefully'. Maybe a faulty coolant temp sender....

Only throwing thoughts out there though...

Next stop is to try a new fuel filter, I hear what you're saying about it being temp sensor but there is no sign of it overheating when it does cut out it feels like it would if it run out of fuel and yeah I do mean driving it carefully plus would a faulty temp sensor throw up a code as I've had it plugged in and there are none

Hi this is my first post so hope I'm doing it right. I accidentally sold a puma indicator stalk on eBay as a 10 pin when it is in fact an 11 pin. The buyer has returned it stating it blew his fuse. There's a slight burnt smell coming from it now it's been returned and I'm wondering if it will still work/is sellable?

Latest posts

Back