Tracing why ABS/TC don't work

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandStorm

Ever since I got my vct puma, never had the ABS and TC working.
And no, no lights on dash simply because the previous owner removed both TC and ABS warning signals.
So, of course they'll never light on...
but even without the lights, i'd like to have ABS working. I know the Puma is supposed to make a noise self testing. mine doesn't do it.
Where should i look at first?

Check if it has ABS sensors first to each wheel hub would be my first place to look.

If a sensor has failed & the previous owner didn't want to spend the money on them then I guess they had the lights removed to pass an MOT.

Could also be the ABS pump & retail they are a big expense v the value of the car.
No idea how to check it's condition but I believe a garage can do this for you & tell you if the sensors and/or pump has failed.

I grabbed this quote from another member on here regarding fault finding or possible fixes for a failed pump.

Ian G said:
[post]359872[/post] Not renowned for it but I do sell a few.

Ensure the connector is seated properly, pull the purple tab upwards to release and lubricate with contact cleaner and re-seat before spending any money.

Its also fused:

Interior box by your knee -
Number 13 which is a 15A blue - also controls locking and clocks so you'd expect that to be OK if those are.

Engine bay box, depending on exactly the year its either -
Late car 24 (30A green), 26 (30A green) and 28 (3A violet)
Early car 30 (3A violet), 31 (30A green) and 33 (30A green)

Although I'm never normally a fan of changing a fuse and considering it fixed!

If those are OK and you want to try a pump they are here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-and-Puma-ABS-modulator-pump-98FB-2M110-BB-/171657000818

Good Luck ;o)

If you have a laptop you could buy an ELM327 OBD11 plug in, install Forscan for free off the internet and you could check on Forscan for any faults with the ABS system.
Barry

Latest posts

Back