Door open light on / alarm going off

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggy65

Hi, the 'door open' light keeps showing whilst driving and the alarm has started sounding regularly whilst parked (sound and lights flashing). I think the two might be related. Can anyone advise steps to take for non-mechanically minded person. 2000 1.7 model. Many thanks, Alison.

Hi Alison
The door open light on is probably caused by the bonnet switch as it's prone to getting damaged whilst work is being done in the engine bay. It's located on the slam panel (where the bonnet latches down in the form of a small black button) and when the bonnet comes down it pushes on this button. A way to check it is to open the bonnet and get someone to press down on the switch whilst you are sat in the car with the ignition on and see if the warning light goes out. If it does you may just have to stick something on the top of the switch or on the underside of the bonnet to make sure the switch goes down far enough (as I have had to do).
Barry

Make sure that the copper pads in boot are clean and the "rods" move up and down freely (found ion the underside of the bootlid, if not wd40 them).
Also the boot lid switch and door switches, discussed with pics here:-
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=14456

^^ what they both said^^

This happened on my bonnet switch but it was simple to move my whole switch assembly to it's correct position with a little pressure. I'd previously dropped/slammed the bonnet shut accidently/incorrectly which pushed the switch down. I will add that mine had a new slam panel previously so may have been in the wrong location to start with thus allowing it to be forced up/down.

Also had dirty rear connections & just cleaned the contacts on the rear panel & wd40'd the spring rods in the lid. Worked a treat.

Bonnet switch got me on our old Fiesta too and it's the same item afaik

Latest posts

Back