Warning lights.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluemx16

Hi,
I took my wife's 1.7 for a blast tonight and the ABS and what looks like a Traction control light came on just after it made a strange noise.
A. Any idea what the noise may have been?
B. What could be the cause of the two lights illuminating

All help gratefully received, and thanks in advance.
Blue

Hi. The "strange noise" was probably the ABS pump. You can normally hear it (although not as loud) when you first drive off as it does a self test. But I'm guessing the noise you heard was loud and quite "groaning"??
The warning lights are to do with the braking system. As to what part of the system they are flagging up as faulty you probably need to get an OBD2 diagnostic reader (if you haven't got one already). Or see if anyone local to you has one you can borrow. Or find an auto electrician as they should have the equipment to read fault codes. That should then give you a good idea to what's causing the lights to be illuminated.

Hi
As Dai said the noise was the ABS pump self testing. It's probably an ABS sensor that's gone down and if you haven't got access to a reader you can do a lesser check on the sensors using an ohmmeter across the plugs of the sensors. From memory you should get a reading of about 1000 to 1100 ohms on a working sensor but if there's no reading the sensor is knackered. Check the fronts first as they are more likely to be the ones knackered. If you take the wheels off you can follow the ABS lead up from the wheel hub to the plug which is located on the inner wing. If you have a laptop, if you have a look on my build thread you can follow the link to buy an ELM327 OBD plug and then download Forscan (for free) off the internet once you have this you can plug it into your cars OBD port and you have a good system of diagnostics which is capable of telling you which ABS sensor is down and a multitude of other things as well.
Barry

You can also download the Forscan app onto your mobile phone too. It's not as comprehensive as the laptop version but you can still do things like fault code reading and live data sensor tests :D As well as a few self diagnostic checks. Forscan is a really good program to have and its nice and easy to use too.

But yea I agree with tuonokid that it does sound like an abs sensor that has gone faulty.

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for the late reply, been working away. :?

Latest posts

Back