Fuel tank woes - suggestions?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roki

Been having a bit of a saga with my Puma and a persistent fuel leak on her. First it was a perished fuel hose - that got fixed - now its the fuel tank itself. Seems its so rusty fuel's leaking right out of it.

I've spent the past few weeks trying to figure out the best way around this, since replacements seem to be scarce and my location makes delivering them a hoot and a half (greetings from the Outer Hebrides!). I thought I found a winner in Eurocarparts, but it had a fundamental design flaw that rendered it unusable. The risk you take with aftermarket parts, I guess.

So I'm back to looking for stock tanks. What makes this fun is that - apparently - 2001-2002 models have somewhat different fuel tanks according to those I've spoken to locally, so I couldn't take a fuel tank from an older Puma/Mk.4 Fiesta and use that on my own Puma; finding fuel tanks for my specific year's been a nightmare.

I'm a bit stumped now, and could do with some suggestions as to what I could try next. Heck, if somebody could refute the above paragraph that'd alleviate most of my problems!

If it's any help my 2002 model uses the same fuel tank as the earlier cars.I think the fuel pump is slightly different,although its dimensions and fixings are identical.
I fitted the Eurocarparts tank to my wife's Puma a couple of years ago and the only issues were the internal swirl pot for the fuel pump pick up needed modifying slightly,but easily do-able and I had to fit the fuel filter carrier to the new tank using a self tapping screw,as the originals are riveted.Worth doing as you then have a nice new tank.
The fuel filler pipes come in at a different angle on the new one but they still fit ok. :grin:

As above, I thought all tanks were near enough the same apart from maybe slightly different inlet pipe angles.
My new aftermarket tank also had no fitting for the filter but a bit of heath robinson type engineering fixes that.

Btw welcome, where abouts in Outer Hebrides are you?

Thank you both for your responses - so bottom line is that getting an older Puma fuel tank should be a (very) safe bet? Just want to make doubly certain before I buy anything since, as before, returning stuff isn't much fun from where I'm at.

Also, with that said, I live on the Isle of Lewis, Zinc. :grin:

Out of interest where did the tank fail? Mine looked a bit crusty around the rear end so I've treated it for now to stop it getting any worse.

Yes an older fuel tank will fit just fine,hopefully you can source one that's in good shape.
Good luck with it :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back