Vct seal/gasket

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyPowell3152

Hi all, new to project puma! Just rebuilding the engine on my 1.7 project and found a split seal between the VCT unit and Cylinder Head. Looks like it's three 0 rings joined together... Part number for the VCT unit is 1031064 I need the seal that sits on the side of that where the bolts go through the head? Ford can't find it on there computer so prosumably can't buy it separately and they want 450ish for a new unit. Just wondering if you guys knew of anywhere I could source one? Tried NewFord parts, pumabits on ebay, Ford dealer, usual parts companies ie andrewpages/euros ect.... Help 🙁

The part is 1031032 but is NLA from Ford last time I checked. If you are rebuilding your engine you’d be as well buying a full head kit that has everything in - just junk the cam cover gasket as you have to go genuine for that!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F310891029978

FAI, Elring or Adjusa are fine, others I can’t comment on

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but I am trying to assist all 1.7 owners using this forum now and in the future , they need to be aware of the following:

The Cam seals may well no longer be available from Fords but that doesn't mean they can't be purchased elsewhere.
They are still readily available from engine parts suppliers that sell Gaskets, Bearings and Pistons. 1 of the Cam seals was Elring the other Cam Seal was Reinz.
So I recommend you use Yellow Pages to locate a local or use your existing engine machine shop to order them in for you.
There is no need to purchase a full set from Burtons.

Both the Camseals are available separately ,but not from Fords. I purchased them both and also the front crank seal just 2 months ago for my 1.7. The cost for all 3 seals was approx £28

Ajusa and Elring are ok
XAF said:
The part is 1031032 but is NLA from Ford last time I checked. If you are rebuilding your engine you’d be as well buying a full head kit that has everything in - just junk the cam cover gasket as you have to go genuine for that!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F310891029978

Sorry XAF, but I have tried the FAI Rocker gasket it doesn't fit the cover properly around the inner loop of the cover (that is supposed to protect the spark plugs from oil), so avoid.

DOH said:
XAF said:

Sorry XAF, but I have tried the FAI Rocker gasket it doesn't fit the cover properly around the inner loop of the cover (that is supposed to protect the spark plugs from oil), so avoid.

He does say to junk the cam cover gasket and only use genuine one earlier on in that post

Simonavis said:
DOH said:
XAF said:

He does say to junk the cam cover gasket and only use genuine one earlier on in that post

Thanks Simon, yes only use the Ford cam cover gasket as I’ve never got anything else to seal properly

Simonavis said:
DOH said:
XAF said:

Hi Simon , XAF also said "FAI , Ering or Adjusa are fine, others I can't comment on"
Therefore surely it would be prudent for XAF to amend that and remove FAI from his original post, to avoid confusion?

DOH - I’m talking about the head gasket kits that have everything in. The FAI one is really good - except the cam cover gasket (from said kit) which I’d junk

Hi XAF
The link to the gasket on ebay is unbranded , is that in fact the FAI kit you mentioned?

That’s just an example of a head gasket kit and what you get - I tend to watch out and see when you can drop on a good deal for FAI. Sure I paid about £50 for a set a while back, got Barry one too :grin:

XAF said:
That’s just an example of a head gasket kit and what you get - I tend to watch out and see when you can drop on a good deal for FAI. Sure I paid about £50 for a set a while back, got Barry one too :grin:
I think I got that said deal, they were about 60% to 70% off. So I bought 2 sets.....just in case

the rocker cover gasket in this kit is to short and didn't seal well. ordered an elring one see if thats better. the other seals for the vtc valve and cam sensor are fine thou.
I used an elring gasket with a small amount of gasket sealant around the camshaft pulleys, left for a day to dry, never had a problem since.

Latest posts

Back