Speedo not working.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi,

I know there are similar threads. I have been through them all. I have started this as a fresh topic due to the fact the previous threads are getting on a bit and someone else since then may have had the same problem and therefor have fresh information to offer that was not posted on the older threads.

Usual thing, driving along speedo stops. Done a gauge check that's okay. Replaced the speedo sensor on gear box. checked fuses (not that any are directly related but just another check). Yes the speedo still does not work.

Anybody able to assist.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard
I could be completely wrong here but I seem to remember someone writing about faulty wires in the plug to the speed sensor.... worth a check?
Barry

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
The speedo drops to zero. The new sensor I got was not a genuine one . I have sourced a used original to try. If that does not work I think it must be a wiring issue.
I will keep plugging away

Regards,
Rchard

Failing that it could be that the gear which drives the speed sensor has stripped and needs to be replaced. Try spinning the end of the cable in the speed sensor with an electric drill while it is connected to the harness. If the speedo works this indicates that the sensor is OK and there is a problem with the drive from the gearbox.

Hi.
Thanks for your interest and replies. All three sensors I have do appear to have the gears intact as when I spin them by hand I can feel the resistance or the gear inside. I think it is time to call in the services of an auto electrician.

Regards
Richard.

Hi again.
I have sourced a new speedo drive for the transaxle. It is the part that can be replaced externally so that is the first option to try. Now, the pin I need to remove from the casing is steel and the casing is aluminum, so I suspect a bit of corrosion will make it stubborn to remove. I have been applying WD40. Has anybody tried this before and can offer any advice before I start. I am always happy to hear other peoples experiences.

Richard

Richard.... are you potentially talking about a roll pin?

If so, I tried removing one and despite being someone who is VERY persistent and does not give up easily, I didn't succeed.
From what I can remember there didn't seem to be a hole the opposite side which can be used to tap the pin out... unless I missed something obvious! But I will say the gearbox was actually fitted at the time.

Looking at this photo, maybe there is a way to knock the pin out from inside....?

49593045163_9c00bd1f6b_c.jpg

If you are going to try and pull it out all I can say is good luck! :?

Bit late on a reply but I had a similar problem on my daughters 106 which ended up being a corroded earth cable.

Latest posts

Back