That passenger footwell leak

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdudley76

Hi,

I’ve had problems with water getting into the passenger footwell for a while but only really an issue in the Autumn and Winter. I’ve scoured forums and found lots of information but I just wanted to see if anyone could recommend the first thing to do based on the images below.

[image]6220[/image]

This first is a wider shot, you can see the drip further over to the left.

The second focuses on the exact area it is dripping from.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[image]6221[/image]

First, always make sure the cars engineered drain-ways are clear. The first suspect in that regard would be the area under the windscreen. It wouldn't hurt to open that up and clean out all the debris that's in there if you haven't done so in the last couple of years.
If that doesn't uncover any problems, you could try just inspecting all the seals around the door and windscreen very closely with a bright light to look for snail trails indicating the leak location.
If that doesn't work, you could try blowing on the seals with some compressed air with a second person on the inside looking for the leak.
If that doesn't work, you need to strip away the interference and follow the water trail until you find it.
If you have a sunroof (Do these cars have sunroofs?), don't assume its good. Sunroof leakage can manifest almost anywhere.

Just looking at where it's coming from... Has your car got AC and if so is that condensation built up on the evaporator due to blocked drain pipe? Just a thought

Hi,

thanks for both replies. No AC and no sun roof. There is quite a gap where the windscreen meets the seal, getting more and more debris jammed in there. I’ll follow those steps first.

I can’t put up with the problems for another winter but at the same time if I sell it will be tricky if footwell leaks like it has done.

Cheers

I would second the above advice...the A/C drain pipe is nearly always the cause of a wet passenger footwell.
Unclip the pipe from the evaporator and blow through with compressed air,it's actually better to do this from underneath the car where the pipe exits(the pipe is narrower at this end..hence the reason it blocks).
This will almost certainly cure your problem :grin:

I’ve had a dig round. There was a lot of stickiness in the first image which I thought might be sealant degrading...

[image]6225[/image]

I then focused water on the passenger side and it started leaking a fair bit. I assume something needs sealing under all this ‘stuff’ but looks a right pain to get to.

[image]6226[/image]

Top right of that second picture is the main wiring grommet. This is the most common area to leak in to the passenger footwell.

I believe the recommendation is to try reseating it before pasting it with sealant.
https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=194294#p194294

Latest posts

Back