Another none starter..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acer

We've been here before...its stood for 5 weeks now it won't start. Had a similar problem in June which turned out to be low voltage from the battery, a new battery resolved the problem having stripped and bench tested the starter motor. It fired first time, every time until now. The bugger.

Sooo..
Fuel pump priming ok
Checked fuel relay and fuse both ok
No codes showing on reader
Battery and voltage ok only 3 months old
Key was flicking the needles around and back on position 2 buts that now stopped
All the warning lights work when key turned to position 2
Cleaned both keys there was fluffy crap in them, both keys work but nothing from the engine.
Immobilizer light not flashing fast to indicate a problem.

There no click from the starter motor despite having power, nothing from the engine when you turn the key only the sound of silence and my own mumblings to the gods of suck, squeeze, bang and blow. Always with the negative waves man..

Any suggestions, its turning into the second most unreliable vehicle I've owned.

Thanks

There are 2 'parts' to the starter motor.. the motor itself and a solenoid that makes a contact to make the starter work.

If the starter motor is failing to turn I would start with...
Faulty starter
Faulty starter solenoid
Fault within starting circuit - bad relay or fuse

If the car doesn't get a lot use regular use, things can stick/bind up. Could even go old school and give the starter a gentle tap to see if it frees it... but don't blame me if you actually break anything!

Thanks, I've had the starter off and tried it all worked fine, solenoid engaged. The needles now don't sweep across the dials which they did this morning. I've borrowed a new battery to try and it's the same. Nothings cranking over. Just rechecked fuses its strange as it was starting well. Also tried tapping the solenoid with jack handle...I felt better but no difference.

Try jumping from the known good battery directly to the starter, bypassing the installed battery cable.
The battery cable can corrode inside the insulation to the point of not passing enough current, and this is about the right age to start seeing that.

Thanks, a good call. Direct feed clicked solenoid so I replaced all the smaller wire and connectors to the starter motor. Burst into life, to look at nothing wrong having cleaned all the connections but a small tug on the connector mounted to the gearbox and the wire came away.

Anyone with similar symptoms check the small wire.

Advice much appreciated :grin:

Latest posts

Back