Obtaining shims

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbunny

Hi,

Where do people go now to purchase shims for the 1.7 engine?

Obviously ford no longer sell them.

I'm fitting some Newman cams and require a full set for the exhaust cam and one for the inlet.

I've asked at a local engine rebuilders and they're going to get back to me but in case of them failing.......

Cheers,
Ben.

I would think all zetec SE should fit (i.e. 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6). And given that 1.25 was still beingproduced until a year ago, they should be obtaineable...?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure as everyone seems to draw a blank.

However, it seems that Piper and Lightening Motorsport can make them up for you. Which is the route I going. It'll give me the exact measurements I need and not an approximate one.

I'm going to see into if the other ones do fit out of interest and will report back.

Cheers,
Ben.

Any good machine shop can make them up for you on a lathe and then surface grind them down to the thickness you require and then harden them.
It will of course be cheaper and easier to purchase them off the shelf .

What is the diameter of the shim and thickness as I have some from a variety of engines and may then be able to tell you other engines that use the same size?

I would also recommend trying Burton's as they might have them.

Are they like any of the following?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Ford+Zetec++++shims&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Ford+Zetec+SE++shims

Hi,

I thought I'd hit the jackpot but Piper have sent me the top hat ones instead of the biscuit ones I need.
I'm back on the phone tomorrow with them.

I'm after 3.5mm or thicker. (I can get them ground down.)

The exact thickness needed are:-

2.85mm
3.31mm
3.32mm
3.39mm
3.29mm
3.30mm
3.28mm
3.29mm
3.26mm

The diameter of the shims is 13.8mm

I've attached what they look like.

cheers,
Ben.

Hi
there isn't an attachment?

The Peugot /Citroen 1.9 D shims are close in diameter and the dealers hold various sizes on the shelf.
e.g. these are 3mm thick and the price is for 4.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-METELLI-VALVE-CLEARANCE-ADJUSTING-DISC-03-0300-I-NEW-OE-REPLACEMENT/153500687330?fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot%7CCars+Type%3A1.9+D&epid=1427110321&hash=item23bd5a9be2:g:bOUAAOSw7HpevlfR

They are 13.42mm instead of your 13.8mm

But 0.3mm less on th o/d shouldn't be a problem if they have the thickness's you require.

It would certainly be worth calling a few dealers to see the thickest shim they stock so you can then have them ground down.

I have made shims up in the past for race engines . After grinding, they have to be demagnetized and also hardened. So make sure your machine shop does that.

I am also aware that Toyota shims for the 2TG and 18RG twin cams from the 70's were a close match for the Peugeot Diesel Shims .
With that in mind perhaps the later shims from a 4AGE engine are the same diameter ??

All Toyota Twincam heads were made by Yamaha , that also was involved with the Zetec 1.7.

Here's a link to shims listed for a 3sge engine (I think that was the 3.0 Turbo Celica)
It seems to have thicknesses to what you require but unfortunately doesn't have the diameter shown in the add , but certainly worth calling your Toyota dealer .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-ALTEZZA-SXE10-BEAMS-3SGE-SHIM-VALVE-ADJUSTING-T-2-50mm-13753-88003-lashit/203087997858?epid=1516715285&hash=item2f48fceba2:g:g6AAAOSwe65fTG2I

Thanks for your mega reply!

ooops, I didn't spot that the image didn't attach.....

I'm waiting to hear back from Lighting Motorsport who say they can make up exactly what I need. Failing that I'll go down the route you suggest.

Many thanks again.

We're definitely heading towards the realms of classic motoring!

cheers,
Ben.

Hi,

In case it's of any use to anybody Kent cams made them up for me to the sizes I specified.

Cheers,
Ben.

Latest posts

Back