No heat/no cold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilipalmer

Hi. The heater in my Puma always worked great. Today, out of the sudden, it stopped working. I get no heat nor cold. Nothing blows out of the vents. The lights for the A/C and air recirculation button work and so does the lighter. The panel lights also work. The HCV valve is genuine Ford and the antifreeze is at the right level.
I'm guessing it's an electrical fault somewhere but I don't know where to look. Once I had to change heater blower motor resistor but that was because the heater only worked in the 3 and 4 positions. Could the gremlin be a knackered fuse perchance?
Any clues?

Edit: all fuses seem to be fine. Are blown blower motors a common faults in these cars?

The motors are not a common problem.

Have you checked for 12v supply and also earth at the point the resistor?
The front panel heater controllers are known also to fail though.

Thanks for replying, fella.

I haven't checked the voltage yet. I'll do that today as soon as I have some spare time.
When the front panel heater controllers go kaput, do they suddenly stop working or do they give out hints they are on the way out?

Ok, just checked the resistor and it's covered in rust. The connector has rust too. I tried to scrub some off, gave it a good clean with a metal contact cleaner but when I reassembled the lot it still didn't work.

Then I looked behind the panel, under the radio, and there was 12V there.

Any pointers as to what I should next would be greatly appreciated...or maybe a wiring diagram....

The next stage is check your voltage at the motor with front panel switched on and ignition on.

You could also try feeding 12v directly to the fan motor and see if it works

Off the top of my head , I would expect speed 3 on the front panel to be the same as applying 12v directly to the motor. The slower 2 speeds are just dropping the voltage across the 2 resistor windings to reduce the output from them to the fan at a lower voltage . 1 speed might for example equate to 9v for speed 2 and a lower voltage for speed 1 . ( I have never actually needed to measure the voltages, so they aren't actual values )

The important thing to understand is that applying 12v directly to the motor will give you the fastest speed.

The motor is placed under the pollen filter housing, is it not? Any idea if I can get to it without disconnecting a/c pipes?

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27863&p=376260&hilit=heater+motor#p376260

YOG, thanks for the input. I'm trying to find a kit to remove the a/c pipes but so far no luck.

Since I'll need to change the resistor, does anyone know if one of those Chinese generics will do the trick? Went to the Ford dealership today and they wanted over 60 quid for one. I remember buying one years ago at the same dealership for 12 or 15...

Also, what's the best way to contact IanG?

Latest posts

Back