Camshaft pulley wobble

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyDawg

Hi everyone. First post here. I have a 1.4 Puma and the mechanic who usually worked on it changed the timing belt some months ago and then the valve cover gasket. He failed repeatedly to do a proper job (oil kept leaking because the gasket wasn't seated properly), I got fed up with it and took it to another mechanic to fix this oil leak and do other stuff. When I returned to pick the car up the guy at the front desk said the mechanic had asked him to show me something he had filmed on his phone while the side cover was out: the camshaft pulley was wobbling like crazy. The car works fine and makes no weird noises, but I can only imagine this is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen. He advised me to change it as soon as possible. My questions are: is there something else that might be contributing to the wobble that I should check/replace? Despite the engine making no unusual noises, can there be damage in the valves or other components? Would it be ok to buy a used one in good nick or this strictly requires a new one (which is quite pricey in my neck of the woods)?
Thanks in advance.

Hi

I guess you are talking about the vibration damper/pulley?

*Ignore that it's a different size to yours!

If that is the part then it would need to be replaced promptly, assuming it has actually failed and not just wobbling because the crank bolt hasn't been torqued up correctly. It would be a good idea not to drive it until it's sorted.

I cant imagine how a piece of heavy metal would fail for no reason. Even if Mechanic #1 dropped it on the floor I doubt it would get bent.
This sounds like it wasn't torqued on correctly. or maybe there's a piece of debris under it.
But also, it might just be an optical illusion. Pulleys that are actually wobbling tend to throw or eat belts immediately.
Take it off and do a thorough inspection of the pulley, the bolt, the washer, and the crank end before making any decisions.

mmc757 said:
I cant imagine how a piece of heavy metal would fail for no reason.

Bearing in mind they do have a rubber insert/damper that 'could' fail.. although probably unlikely but still possible.

Thanks for the replies.

@cherryvitmo That's not the one. It's one of the crankshaft sprockets, the one closest to the bulkhead. I asked the mechanic to send me the video. I'll leave a link here to YouTube.

@mmc757 I also have no idea how that sprocket would "warp". This last mechanic told me he suspects the former mechanic hit it with a hammer...but I see no reason why he would do that.

Link:
https://youtu.be/BjyTATu1GzA

So, you mean the camshaft gear/sprocket, nothing to do with the crankshaft?

YOG said:
So, you mean the camshaft gear/sprocket, nothing to do with the crankshaft?
:oops: Yes...apologies, I'm not mechanically minded...I've edited the the post as to not mislead anyone else

Doesn't look like an optical illusion to me...

Still worth taking a closer look to see whats really going on. Checking the flatness should be an easy matter. If it is indeed bent than maybe it could be carefully straightened on a press.
If replacement is necessary, maybe somebody here just has one. Since cam swaps aren't uncommon, I'll bet there are cams with pulleys sitting on shelves all across europe. :lol:

Ian at puma-bits has both inlet and exhaust available:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&mkevt=1&_ssn=puma-bits&toolid=10044&var=0&customid=CjwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrd8BIEnjrxrI79H480gTXo7hfqIAT_WsXOrBSo2h5wfwY4DQb6huJTxoCq3IQAvD_BwE&item=184216300735&mkcid=1&campid=5338268676&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Ford+Puma+1.7+litre+VCT+cam+pulley&_sacat=0

"If it is indeed bent than maybe it could be carefully straightened on a press. "

I think the best course of action is to buy a new one. ...Does anyone know the torque for the bolt?

Thanks for the link YOG.

SleepyDawg said:
"If it is indeed bent than maybe it could be carefully straightened on a press. "

I think the best course of action is to buy a new one. ...Does anyone know the torque for the bolt?

Thanks for the link YOG.

It seemed like you were reluctant to buy a new one. Just offering options to save some money. I know how frustrating it can be to need parts that are outside of the budget.

Just a quick query are those the right cam sprocket torque values for the 1.4 (sleepy Dawgs car)or are they the values for the 1.7 with VVC?
bARRY

tuonokid said:
Just a quick query are those the right cam sprocket torque values for the 1.4 (sleepy Dawgs car)or are they the values for the 1.7 with VVC?
bARRY
Good question, Barry.
I've just double-checked, and they are indeed only for the 1.7. The 1.4 Puma has a torque value of 60 Nm for both:
1.4 Puma Camshaft Torque.jpg
https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/puma_1998_06.1997-12.2001/mechanical_repairs/3_powertrain/303_engine/303-01b_engine_1.4l_zetec-se_(sigma)-1.6l/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/in-vehicle_repair/timing_belt/

Sleepydawg....You'll find your 1st mechanic will have tried to lock the cam pulleys by clamping mole grips across the inlet and exhaust sprockets on the inner facing edges, thus avoiding taking the cam cover off.It can be done but if the grips are too tight it'll distort the pulley.

Latest posts

Back