Little Problem i need help with please!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benni8

Hi Guys...
Just a quick query please.
I bought a T reg Puma in March last year... 39k... full service history.. All mots etc... 2 owners from new.
The lady who had it passed away and the son accepted an offer of £1450!
It was an absolute steal... and without a doubt a superb example of a brilliant little car.
One thing I have noticed in the year I have had the car is that is does two things that are no major problems but wondered if they were common with puma drivers.
I’d like to note that the car has never let me down or failed to start.
1. When driving sometimes on the motorway the car seems to lose acceleration for a split second (like its missing a heart beat). It’s very minimal and doesn’t affect anything but i can just feel it through the pedal.
2. When I put the car in 1st gear and take my foot off the clutch (it should stall) .. but instead it slowly pulls forward and not stall.. I have stalled it at the lights before of course, but I have never known a car to literally drive itself without the foot on the accelerator.
I have been told off a mate that it is the air flow meter?
I’m not sure if this is correct.
But any help would be gratefully received

My diesel van acn drive itself using the engines own torque, however is unusal for a petrol car to do it.

Seems like its reving slightly high, should be below the 1k mark at least.

Having said that, my puma can 'drive itself' in first and second gears, but it cant actually pull away from a standstill by itself.

my puma moves by itself without having to press the accelerator in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear... that is if it has started and is moving constantly. in first gear, if you release the clutch gently enough, the car can move forward and keep moving by itself. (a good feature for driving in the snow imo)

motorway thing - after I had the cambelt changed on mine I had the same thing, but only when the engine was under load - turned out it was an HT lead that was breaking down

as you have not had the same work done it coudl equally be a spark plug that is past its best

alternatively it could be something completely different!

HI, not sure if youve sorted this problem yes, but the possibilities could be either an air leak just after the throttle body, there are little nipples, but 1 is not used, but the little cover can come off, and air will be sucked in through there when the engine is on vacume, like when you have it in gear, and lift off the accelerator!, the throttle only works by letting air into the cylinders, so, so this in turn will act like the throttle is being pressed a little. The other option is the the MAF sensor, that measures the amount of air that goes into the engine, and provides fuelling accordingly, so if its not working, it might be sending a signal to your ecu that air is going into your engine when its not, and providing fuelling for that air. Another fault could be the Idle control valve, if its sticking open, again its letting alot more air into the intake then its supposed to! The last thing would be the throttle position sensor, if its faulty, it will be sending a signal that your throttle is open, so the ecu will fuel for it! Id say the MAF would be the prime suspect!

Latest posts

Back