On the hunt!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris3boro

Hi, Im looking at 1.6's at the moment and have seen one which has an exposed metal rocker cover, though I've seen some with the black plastic cover which says 'zetec se' on it. Just wondered if anyone knew why some have one and some have the other, and if either is the 'better' version. Thanks

I would say that the one you have seen is missing the cover it's supposed to have then. Did you get a picture of it?

If the car seems sound then i'm sure you could pick one up :)

red said:
I would say that the one you have seen is missing the cover it's supposed to have then. Did you get a picture of it?

If the car seems sound then i'm sure you could pick one up :)

no pictures im afraid, but rarely Ive seen a focus 1.6 zetec without cover too, and a fiesta zetec s. On that basis you'd think it'd be unlikely its due to just missing a cover, but that they produced them with no cover then later added one (??) hmmm....

Well I would assume missing but i'm sure someone will be a long shortly to confirm my opinions :D

I know for a fact all the 1.7 had covers initially.

red said:
Well I would assume missing but i'm sure someone will be a long shortly to confirm my opinions :D

I know for a fact all the 1.7 had covers initially.

yeh maybe thats the case then! If I got one with no cover I'd either buy a cover or get the rocker cover powder coated to brighten the engine bay up I think. My dads just got the zetec lump in his westfield done and it looks fantastic.

The 1.6 doesn't come with a cover. The 1.6 Zetec S Fiesta doesn't either. it's just a black painted rocker cover.

A Zetec S engine:
DSC00548-1.jpg

Some people paint them up, or even polish them silver, removing the black paint.

maybe you could get a 1.7 cover to fit though? I've a spare one ;)

welcome! :)

1.7's are good as well, plus theres the economical 1.4 , though i haven't had experience with one of these, the saving in tax alone makes it one to consider

Good luck in your search, the main thing id say to avoid is rust, you'd be better with a cleaner one, even if it means paying slightly more over the odds :cool:

Puman Being said:
welcome! :)

1.7's are good as well, plus theres the economical 1.4 , though i haven't had experience with one of these, the saving in tax alone makes it one to consider

Good luck in your search, the main thing id say to avoid is rust, you'd be better with a cleaner one, even if it means paying slightly more over the odds :cool:

1.7 isn't an option due to insurance (im nearly 19) and 1.4 Ive heard is bit underpowered at times (up hill or with passengers), so 1.6 is what I'm after really. Yeh I'm not gonna get a rust bucket-I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it come to my cars, so knowing it had lots of rust from the day I bought it would depress me!

Vickydink has been on many a meet with some "spirited" driving by 1.7s and FRPs alike. Not had much of a problem keeping up tbh.

:eek:k:

Yeah, she has.. hence my point of keeping up with the 1.7s. Doh - forgot to say that! lol

Dal said:
Yeah, she has.. hence my point of keeping up with the 1.7s. Doh - forgot to say that! lol

ah, thought you were making a point that the 1.4's could keep up. Gotcha now. Insurance was barely any more for the 1.6 over the 1.4 for me, and I've driven the 1.6 and loved it. By the way, I'm currently driving a 60bhp Ibiza, which, as much as I love it, isn't quick or fun to drive at all....

In steps the puma!!

60bhp to 101bhp should give you some extra fun factor!

The handling will be the most startling upgrade ;)

Yeh it certainly is from the 10min test drive I've had so far. The responsiveness and lack of body roll are the main things I'd say.

Here's my car...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... :IT&ih=006

chris3boro said:
1.7 isn't an option due to insurance (im nearly 19)

Does it make that much of a difference? a 1.6 is group 10 and a 1.7 group 12.

I suppose it does when your young.

:p

Dal said:
chris3boro said:
1.7 isn't an option due to insurance (im nearly 19)

Does it make that much of a difference? a 1.6 is group 10 and a 1.7 group 12.

I suppose it does when your young.

:p

Yeh, like double! :? 1.6 is fine tbh, better than fine! 1.7 may be an upgrade in future ;) but I just wanna find a great puma to look after! If anyone knows someone fancying my car.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back