1.4 or 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ABS and traction control as standard perhaps?

You can get newer 1.7s, with 1.4 you're limiting yourselves to the older cars.

Fewer 1.4 about so less choice although the tax is cheaper.

1.6 are the same band as a 1.7 unless you find a fairly new one and no cheaper to run.

1.7 as long as the cambelt changes are up to date. I've only ever heard people say they wished they'd gone for the 1.7 rather than the 1.4, never the other way around

1.4s tend to be bought by young drivers who can't afford the insurance on a 1.7 so it's likely they've not been driven with much mechanical sympathy 1.7 every time

Got a 1.7 myself, my first puma... At first I hated it's guts, but now, after a full service (except cambelt) I just love the little thing :grin:
Am 24 and heavy footed, but somehow when driving carefully I tend to get over 40mpg... (believe it or not..)
All and all, I wouldn't go for any other model engine wise except for FRP, but that's way out of my reach... :cry:
But am still happy with my "go fast" striped 1.7 :lol:

i love my 1.4 ok 1.7 are faster but the 1.4 does have power well mine seems to i dont wrag my car i love it to much

dont get me wrong im all up for speed and power just saying 1.4 isnt as bad as you think

Kizza said:
iirc there pre 1999 after then it was changed to the 1.6

cheers kieran

Iv got an X reg 1.4 so not all of them where 1999.
As per the Ford etis website Build Date: 15.08.2000

oilburner said:
1.4s tend to be bought by young drivers who can't afford the insurance on a 1.7

Im a living example of such a person :grin: . couldnt afford the insurance on a 1.7 but as a run about it beats any normal typical stereotype young persons car.

But id say the 1.4 puma does lack power. and if i could afford it id have taken a 1.7 instead of mine. but there are good examples of the 1.4 and personally id say i have a rather good one so there are some out there you just need to find one and be poor :p

PaulZ

true just out of curiosity what the top speed any ones had out there cars

see mine has done and still had more to go but i started to shit my self abit lol i got 115 whitch i dont thinks bad it was on motorway

i would like to put a turbo on mine just for the sake of it i know every one say about 1.7 and this is true but they have bean loads of small engine turbo reno 5gt turbo civics starlets suzuki swift gti turbo ect but its i would all down to cost but i would fabricate as much as i could my self.

Don't think its worth turbo'ing it. Better to start with a faster car.

I've had 125 out of my diesel Focus and 130+ from my Clio 172's. On private land of course.

Latest posts

Back