worried !:(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pg3

Hi i purchased a ford puma 2 days ago very cheap as it needs a few jobs doing.

Decided to run it over the weekend and get it to the garage next tuesday. Had run it 60 miles when i realised the car was overheating and heater hot (common problem).but not showing on the dial (normal temp).

Car clutch started to make a rattle noise before giving up in gears 1 to 4. I tried to get back in 5th but only made it 40 miles back near home. Car now died on a street. With the foot on the clutch the car starts up but as i lightly release the pedal it sounds like the transmission is grinding. Will this have killed my transmission ? or will this have just affected my clutch. cheers pete

Can you actually engage gears 1-4 but get no drive, or is it too hard to actually get in the gate?

If you can engage the gears but not use them it's most likely clutch not gearbox.

The heater sounds like the HCV too. Its about 30quid from ford and its a diy job.

Thanks for the replies chaps....

yeah i can engage the gears with the engine off but with the engine running the foot has to be on the clutch even in neutral ? which has puzzled me. soon as i release the clutch pedal the tinny noise of grinding metal apears, so i darent release the pedal fully. dosent sound good though. Think the overheating affected the clutch. Just hope that no teeth have been damaged on the transmission.

Is this a case of the cogs out of line or something more serious ?

Its a s- plate with 101k on the clock.... so not worth a massive spend.

cheers for the info .... bit of a peace of mind... towing to garage tommorrow, will get the clutch , heater valve and thermostat checked. Strange how many reports of overheating ive seen on the net but a lot say that the temp guage stays normal..... worrying that.

Even with the faults the car is still growing on me.... strange....

Hi welcome to the site :)
I just gota clutch and slave cyclinder for £100 p&p so definately cheaper than gearbox!
Hope you get your problems sorted! :)

Back