Puma woes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracy74

Hi all,
Just bought my 2nd Puma. Got rid of my first one over 4 years ago and regretted it ever since. A couple of days ago I found one for sale near me and fell in love with it. Seller advised me she had had everything done to it, mechanical and bodywise.
Unfortunately not being mechanically minded I took her word for it :? The body is beautiful-no rust, dents, etc. couple of light scratches but that is it.
But, started to notice smell of petrol outside passenger side quite bad.
My husband, bless im, can do basic jobs around the car but he is no mechanic, had a look underneath and can see quite a damp patch on the fuel tank.
I have pictured it but cant seem how to work out how to upload it onto here for you to look at.
We are presuming that a new fuel tank is in order and hoping that to save cash he can do it himself.
Taking the sparkle off of getting the car and also now worried about what is next to go wrong. Cant even drive it because im scared it will blow up (paranoid android in me) and will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can do anything with it due to husbands work commitments.
Anyone got any good advice or warnings about this leak. Could it be anything that will require major work?
Also how do I upload a pic on here?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Tracy

Upload your pics to a photobucket account and simply copy and paste the link. Shame really as I have just left Dagenham and could have popped round and had a look :-(

Welcome aboard :thumbs:

This should help you with pics theres a newbie section on the home page which has some helpful stuff.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most major it could get cost wise is a replacement tank if thats whats needed. My guess is you wont want to be buying a new ford one at six zillion quid so a used ones probably your best bet or a cheapie from ebay but I have heard on one occassion the fuel pump wouldnt fit an ebay fuel tank.

Depending on what your piccie shows it might just be a filler pipe you need or something even less like a fuel filter or fuel pipe.

^ Questy here posted a step by step guide on how to remove the fuel tank, with some extra gotchas from another forum member here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it looks a bit too much of a faff for hubbie, the best garage / mechanic nearest to you is STEAVIE at Performance Puma in South Woodford E18. Totally trustworthy bloke, top quality work and sensible charges.

For replacement parts, try Ian G (link in my signature below).

(Hi and welcome, by the way!)

I figured as much or you would have posted it already! :lol:

Somedays I have a memory like a.............errr............errmmm....

.............................................. mince pie anyone

Thanks Guys,
You have been really helpful. Been trying all day to work out the pic problem. I took pics on iphone and when I was trying to upload it was saying size too big.
Bit embarrassing really when I work in an office lol.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/tl200674/tracysphone029_zps3b850d86.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the filler pipe as thats at the back of the tank.

The round object is the fuel filter and has a pipe on each end with a press and pull connector I would start the car with it jacked up if needed and see if its spraying from either of those connectors or the body of the filter.

A hole in the filter is about as cheap and easy as the prob could be. I wouldnt be to quick to assume the seller has had everything done to the car because thats a very old filter and basic maintenance includes changing it and thats doesnt look like its been changed for a while.

After that the options would seem to be either its leaking from one of the connectors on the top of the tank or its leaking from the seam where its welded together, and that curved corner where it has a bit of rubber around it is the seam between the top and bottom half of the tank.

Thanks for your advice. :grin: Muchly appreciated.

I think we fell in as soon as we got it home. Gutted. She really did see us coming, proper mugs! I was considering demanding she take it back but I do really like the car. It seems to drive well and hopefully its just niggly bits that need doing to it.
I knew that buying 2001 car there was going to be problems arising, I'm just praying that its not going to be too serious as cannot afford to keep spending out.
From what you can see, in your opinion, do you think it looks serious?
Would you drive it like this for the time being? as I cant do anything about it for a couple of weeks.
Tracy

Your right Pumas are of a certain age now so will need stuff doing. Personally I wouldnt drive it, but for me a cars not a neccessity so I have the luxury to choose not to. If you have to use it just give it £10 top ups when its empty and hopefully if its leaking from the seam it will help.

Like I said though check around the filter and filter connectors first, and straight away, with it jacked up and running. A filters a tenner or less and theres a how to guide here on how to do it. You could have it fixed tommorrow.

I have a complete used tank I would sell for £30 but postage would be a prob. Ebay has new puma tanks for around £65 iirc but you would have to swop fuel pumps over as well as change it. Ford charge £600 iirc just for the tank which is a no no.

Also check the rest of the tank as well we are assuming that damp stain is petrol it might be water and the problems elsewhere :thumbs:

trueblue said:
Upload your pics to a photobucket account and simply copy and paste the link. Shame really as I have just left Dagenham and could have popped round and had a look :-(

Damn. If your ever passing through again let us know. Be good to get your opinion. Where abouts u from?

Im in stanford le hope. I work in dagenham at the Ford engine plant so up that way nearly every day.

Trueblue be a gentleman and a sholar and go see whats wrong with this fuel leak ;) save these people some money :)

adampuma said:
Trueblue be a gentleman and a sholar and go see whats wrong with this fuel leak ;) save these people some money :)

Bit difficult this week as I'm on nights :cry:
Next week will be easier when I'm on late shift if that's any help ?

tracy74 said:
Aww thank you. Bit of luck I hopefully will have something done but if not I'll certainly appreciate that

Tracy

Let me know if you need any help and I will see what I can do :)

Latest posts

Back