Hello everybody!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaSte

My names Steve and I live in Milton Keynes.

After looking for a new car about a week ago I saw the following on eBay and decided I had to have it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-V-FO...mobiles_UK&hash=item27e173ed35#ht_1368wt_1203

There was another newer Puma which was closer but when we went to see it the thing was a rust bucket being held together by bits of filler! So we went back to the original and after viewing bought the same day from the seller!

Only after I got it home did I start looking online for information and found this forum so thought I'd better sign up. Having read a lot of things online about Puma's and the things that can go wrong I'm now a bit worried I've jumped in without knowing what I was doing!

The heater control valve definitely needs looking at as I'm getting a constant flow of warm air.

More pressing though is that it appears to be very unclear if the cambelt has been changed in the last few years so I'm cacking it that the thing is going to go before I can get it sorted!

Other than that I'm really enjoying driving it round. It really puts a smile on your face.
A lot more enjoyable than my Ford Focus 1.4. :grin:

:grin: That's well random, looked at the link and it looks like it was for sale in the village which I live in!?!

Welcome to the site!

Welcome along :grin:
Don't worry about what you've read online, they're great little cars and have no more problems than any other car of that age and are a lot more fun.

red said:
:grin: That's well random, looked at the link and it looks like it was for sale in the village which I live in!?!

Welcome to the site!

Cheers. I'm sure I'll find the site a help in the coming months! :grin:

Although the company was in Sawtry, we actually picked up the car from a village called Yaxley.

PhilLew said:
Welcome along :grin:
Don't worry about what you've read online, they're great little cars and have no more problems than any other car of that age and are a lot more fun.

Yes, in the few days since buying it on Friday it definitely has been fun. :grin:

The one thing that's worrying me at the moment is just the cambelt situation.
Got a quote this morning from a local Ford place to replace the cambelt, auxilary belt and water pump for £552. Not sure if that's a good price for the work (it's almost as much as I paid for the car) but having driven it the last few days I'm really enjoying it and the last thing I want is it to go pop!! :?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly, in the menatime I can't comment on the price as I've never had that work done but there is a list of known/trusted garages here

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=9116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope that helps :grin:

Hello and welcome. It's a cracking little car with plenary of smiles per miles and IMO a lot better built then many other from its time mine is a 98 with 60k on the clock and it runs lovely never needed much. Enjoy you lil cat.

Ah ok bit further up. I think my brother knows that guy.

I'd look to get another quote, that sounds expensive to me. Phone PumaSpeed or PumaBuild (Wakefield / Birmingham) for a comparison.

Or Steavie on here does that for £285 according to his signature.

http://www.projectpuma.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dal said:
Or Steavie on here does that for £285 according to his signature.

http://www.projectpuma.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

I think I'll be contacting Steavie as soon as I get paid.

Good work - Steavie is the man! Not many people I'd trust with my Puma, but he's one of them. :eek:k:

evilrob said:
Good work - Steavie is the man! Not many people I'd trust with my Puma, but he's one of them. :eek:k:

It's looking like I won't be able to do anything till I get paid in just under 2 weeks. Restricting myself to essential journeys at the moment, effectively to work and back.

Got my cambelt & tensioner, water pump and auxiliary belt done yesterday! :)

Through a stroke of luck I ended up getting a friend of a friend to do it. He's a mobile mechanic so made it a lot easier.

Latest posts

Back