Hi from Essex!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeno

Hi all,

Stumbled across the site while doing some puma research.

Purchased a 1.7 Y-reg just coming up to 165k in black for £600. Recently passed its MOT with the only advisory as small rust on one door sill.

Has a cracked screen but no issue as passenger side and I'm a screen fitter.
A few small bits that need doing here and there but nothing that really affects the running of the car.

I have got a few ideas from various threads here of some things I would like to do to my puma so it won't be a huge project also because my skill level goes as far as replacing bulbs, changing tyres and fitting windscreens haha so I apologise for any daft questions!

Hi and welcome! :thumbs:

I was thinking about getting a new windscreen myself - what's the going rate to supply and fit a new heated one; can you even get them any more?

Hi Evilrob a screen is about 250 on its own The supply and fit probs another hundred depending on the company. Apart from sourcing the glass yourself and getting someone to fit it, your best off doing it thorough car insurance. It's the only thing they won't stiff you on. Although you cant get a dealer part anymore.

Hello Richard I'm from Colchester near to town it self, not far from Brightlingsea at all!

Cheers Blue it's nice to make myself known, I've just been lurking around the forums for the last couple of months!

Hi - thought I'd have a look at your thread and see what you've been up to with it - any photos?

Gutted about the front screen - is your cracked one a heated screen? I have one, but I've no idea if it even works. THe button the dash lights up, but that's not to say it works. :lol:

£350 or so to fit a second hand heated screen is obviously not viable.

The advisory on your MOT for the door sill is probably not too much of an issue - but from what I've read on here, replacement isn't a big job should it fail.

I must say 160k would worry me. I picked mine up (as you probably have seen), with 75k on a private plate for £450. Do you have any history of cambelt/waterpump changes on the car? The zetec engine is pretty solid block - though I'd probably do a full oil and filter change ASAP if you have no history of it being done recently. 5 litres of Ford Formula F oil is available for just over £20 delivered to your door, and a filter is no more than £5, so no excuse really?

Luckily/sadly I don't have a heated screen so costs will be pretty low for me as I work for a windscreen company.

I was in need of a car for college purposes so took a risk on the puma as it came with a full years MOT. Did a few bits of research and took the risk with it.

I will try to get some photos up soon, give the car a good wash first!

There was some history but off the top of my head I can't be 100% sure.

My motor maintenance knowledge is pretty shocking as I've never really had to do anything to any of my previous cars. So keeping water/coolant and engine oil topped up is like my limit!

You are right no real excuse other than lack of knowledge and how to and the reasons why. Which is why I'm glad to have joined PP.

List of current to do's for the puma:

MUST DO
2 new front lights
2 new rear lights
New Tyres
Spare key
New centre brake light
Oil change
Water pump change
Change All Filters
Cambelt change (no prev history of last change/service)
Find out what the severed cable is in the boot
New Front Wipers - Done
New Rear Wiper - Done

CAN AFFORD TO DO (one at a time)
2 donor upper grille to make badgeless - One Purchased so Far
Led strip placed in badgeless grille - Strip Purchased
Bodywork clean/polish
Smoked side repeaters
New front indicator bulbs
Boot light
Led number plate bulbs
New windscreen
Replacement cap for alloy wheel
New 12v cigarette power thing
New ultra bright bulbs
New rear fog lights
New centre console fascia

WANT TO DO
Induction kit K&N, Piper or another?
Cold Air intake
new front brake calipers (to be painted orange)
Mud flaps front/rear
Fog lights
Clean Engine Bay
Painted rocker cover
New coloured engine tubing things
Maybe a small curved spoiler but I've heard they produce a lot of drag and help eat up fuel
Add some DRLS
try and do some security lighting once the car is unlocked/locked with the head lights
Remove passenger door card and see why it's loose (grab some puma poppers/clips off work if need be)

As you can tell I'm pretty green in the world of motoring and gadgety mods so if anybody has any hints tips or things i should look out for or do/not do please share with me!

Hello grayfox! Thanks For the welcome!

Edit: tidied the list up in to something legible

Here area a few pictures of my black cat with my update legible list of wants and needs!

20jvyw.jpg

x43ogp.jpg

2n7fp52.jpg

2ufajaw.jpg

2yy17no.jpg

4vlk5u.jpg

1i0pw5.jpg

2vxra6b.jpg

jpvsxt.jpg

Xeno said:

MUST DO
2 new front lights
2 new rear lights
New Tyres
Spare key
New centre brake light
Oil change
Water pump change
Change All Filters
New Front Wipers - Done
New Rear Wiper - Done

Bodywork clean/polish
Smoked side repeaters
Boot light
Led number plate bulbs
New windscreen
New ultra bright bulbs
New rear fog lights

WANT TO DO
Cold Air intake
Mud flaps front/rear
Fog lights
Clean Engine Bay
Painted rocker cover
Maybe a small curved spoiler but I've heard they produce a lot of drag and help eat up fuel
Add some DRLS
try and do some security lighting once the car is unlocked/locked with the head lights
Remove passenger door card and see why it's loose (grab some puma poppers/clips off work if need be)

As you can tell I'm pretty green in the world of motoring and gadgety mods so if anybody has any hints tips or things i should look out for or do/not do please share with me!

Hello grayfox! Thanks For the welcome!

Edit: tidied the list up in to something legible

Had one of my dipped beams die on me during the week so now purchased some halfords ultra brilliance bulbs and 2 sets of new sidelights, 1 set mot passable and the others not haha.

Changed some bits around and added a fence category.
Am I thinking of doing too Much?

Xeno said:

MUST DO
2 new front lights or try a lens restorer?
2 new rear lights
New Tyres
Spare key
New centre brake light
Oil change
Water pump change
Change All Filters
New Front Wipers - Done
New Rear Wiper - Done

Bodywork clean/polish
Smoked side repeaters
Boot light
Led number plate bulbs
New windscreen
New ultra bright bulbs -purchased awaiting fitment
New rear fog lights

LIKE TO DO
Cold Air intake
Mud flaps front/rear
Fog lights
Clean Engine Bay
Painted rocker cover
Black out rear quarter panels
Black out rear screen

THINGS IM ON THE FENCE ABOUT
Aero bonnet pins
DRLS

THINGS DONE THAT I DIDNT INTEND
New set of sidelights (MOT passable)
Set of blue sidelights (not MOT passable)

So today I finally got round to fitting my replacement lights only to find that I had the wrong set as the halfords guide says that the model bulb for dipped was 9006 but only the 9005 set fit, so a quick blast back to exchange and the difference is well worth the £19.99 per bulb.

Now I just need a proper clean of the light casing to make it worth while.
Does anybody know how I go about doing this?

Also added in my not pass MOT sidelights which look more green than blue and pretty dull..bit dissatisfied with those so may swap back to the original set.

On order I have two new gloss black rear fogs which have puma on them when they are on and some orange and black ford gel overlays from DMB as I have decided to be an orange and black puma :)

MUST DO
2 new front lights or try a lens restorer?
2 new rear lights
New Tyres
Spare key
New centre brake light
Oil change
Water pump change
Change All Filters
New Front Wipers - Done
New Rear Wiper - Done

Led strip placed in badgeless grille - Purchased
Bodywork clean/polish
Smoked side repeaters
Boot light
Led number plate bulbs
New windscreen
New ultra bright bulbs Done
New rear fog lights - purchased, waiting on delivery

LIKE TO DO
Cold Air intake
Mud flaps front/rear
Front Fog lightsp
Clean Engine Bay
Painted rocker cover
Maybe a small curved spoiler I've heard they produce a lot of drag and help eat up fuel
Black out rear quarter panels
Black out rear screen

THINGS IM ON THE FENCE ABOUT
Aero bonnet pins
DRLS

THINGS DONE THAT I DIDNT INTEND
New set of sidelights (MOT passable)- purchased
Set of blue sidelights (not MOT passable)[/color] - Done
DMB gel overlays - purchased, waiting on delivery

Have you got any photos of the rear fogs on the Puma? I'm not convinced by them, sorry.. :|

Okay so not much done recently, just added some DMB orange/black ford logos while they were still avaliable, came off afterwards few weeks but some windscreen double sided tape soon sorted that!!

Had some identical alloys and the spare lined up for £120 but sadly missed out on those as I have 2 slow punctures, so annoying!

Lost all power to ciggies socket and although I've changed the fascia and plug socket, better look at the fuses and check they're okay.

Managed to pick up some decent second hand replacement rear lights £10 for the pair Inc all 6bulbs and bulb cases and got those fitted tonight.

Here is some images and the fog pic that JP requested.

359ltfb.jpg

Picture of me puma lettering on the fog lights

2nv8q5w.jpg

Picture of both fogs fitted

vsmgdz.jpg

New nearside cluster

152hqub.jpg

New offside cluster

2589g8y.jpg

Old cracked fascia

2z3nhy0.jpg

New 2nd hand fascia

35jeaet.jpg

Old cracked offside cluster

2ql4a5x.jpg

Old scratched nearside cluster.

welcome along, I kinda took a different approach, paid a lot less, bodged rear arches, full stage zero, new tyres, and for what you paid, got car, and made it track ready :D

I'm just over water in kent

Need a really good clean, but if you ever wander into kent, have some genuine front puma mats (I believe they are genuine from the millenium) for a fiver

It does indeed need a good clean and polish. Also a tad bit of paint TLC haha

May have to bring the missus and make a day of it or something so I appreciate it lord b!

Latest posts

Back