Hello from Switzerland

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanet

Hello all,

I bought this '99 1.7 a couple of months ago. I was getting fed up with all these modern turbo powered cars and was looking for a cheap low powered sporty car that can be driven like it was stolen.

At first, I was looking at a nice Fiat Cinquecento Sporting. These have literally disappeared from the market. I had arranged a viewing and was going to go with my best mate. But the car sold a couple of days before the set date and I then scurried around to find something else to go and see with my friend.

This rather nice (in photos) Puma appeared in my searches. We went to see it and after testing it over 200 yards, I knew that I had to buy it. Like many, I wasn’t aware that the Puma was such a good drive. It really is a breath of fresh air. Light, fun, great engine, great gearchange but slow enough to be able to be driven hard without risking your license.

It has done 132’000 km (82’000 miles) and is in pretty good condition. Rust has been repaired at some point, but the arches are starting to blister a bit again. The only mod it has is a CSC endbox.

I’ve already done a few things to it:
  • Service. Oil, all filters and plugs
  • Replaced glovebox lid (unfortunately a black one from a Fiesta)
  • Replaced wipers and radio antenna
  • Headlight bulbs (GE Megalight Ultra). I now have “normal” lighting instead of downright dangerous.
  • Covered the steering wheel (I know, it’s a bit naff, but it feels better)
  • Polished the rear fog lights (got tired and ended up clear coating them)
  • Replaced gearbox/torque mount

A couple of things still need sorting. Rust, cambelt (25K miles, but 8 ½ years old, I’m just going to chance it for the moment) and a vibration from the interior blower motor when it’s set to 3 or 4.

The problem I can’t seem to find an answer to is that the car has a bit of what I would describe as driveline shunt. When I lift off the throttle and then reapply it there’s a slight delay and a small thud. I am thinking “engine mounts” (which is why I’ve already changed the lower gearbox mount). But could it be something else? Driveshafts? (The car does shudder a bit when accelerating in 3rd and 4th in a bend).

puma.jpg

puma_steering.jpg

puma_exhaust.jpg

Welcome to the fold. It sounds like you're getting on well. Like you describe it sounds like it might be the actual engine mount having excessive movement.

Hi red, thanks for the info. I was wondering if this is a common problem as I haven't seen other threads talking about driveline shunt or slack...

Hi alanet,

I would recommend checking the driveshafts. There should be no movement at all, try grabbing it by hand and turning it. There should be no movement at all (gearbox in gear, wheels on the ground, handbrake aplied)

Latest posts

Back