Air bag light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R&Echarity

Hello, I've just joint here. I am wanting to change the steering wheel in my 1.7 Puma, I've already removed the standard steering wheel. But air bag light came on, so refitted standard steering wheel with air bag & the air bag light is now continually flashing. Checked fuses & wiring everything is in good/contact.
Is there any other way of disabling the air bag light!
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
Many thanks

Have you left a connector undone? Easily done. The fault may well be in the clock spring, these can be replaced without changing the steering wheel. There's a thread on here from when I did mine.

If you really want to disable air bag light you'll need to remove instrument panel and take out LED/bulb, but this may cause problems come MoT time, maybe.

Flashing indicates a fault, the sequence of the flashing reveals a code to assist you with locating the area of the issue (steering wheel, passenger side, seats etc).

If you've put everything back together exactly as it was then it's possible you've damaged something or dislodged one of the connectors. The airbag connects behind the steering wheel and again down by the ignition. I'd start with these first.

After you've sorted that out then back to your replacement steering wheel, I assume it does not have an airbag? In which case it's expected to see the light if you haven't reconnected one because it's in a fault state.

There's a way using a resistor (and maybe a capacitor, I forget exactly) to mimic the expected response of the airbag, so you can trick the system in to thinking it's still present. I'm sure you can also buy 'off the shelf' versions of this ready to plug in.

Latest posts

Back