Hello from the US

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc757

Hello,

Newbie post here.
I am not currently a Puma owner but am looking into the possibility of exporting one to the US, and thought it was time to start watching this forum.
I am an American, residing in the US, but I have been interested in bringing over a Puma for several years, and as I am going to be visiting the UK for work soon, this may be my opportunity to start looking at it seriously.
I have been a Cougar owner since 2001 and have wanted to have its little brother parked next to it ever since I first saw them on a previous visit to the UK.

I may have to wait a couple more years, because once a car reaches 25 years old, the requirements to import to the US become significantly less restrictive, but I figured it wouldnt hurt for me to look into it anyway.

One piece of information that I am missing right now is something that I suspect this forum can help me with...
I'm not holding my breathe on this one, but can anyone tell me if the Puma happened to come with a sticker like this in the door sill?
http://www.ecsvin.com/images/compare/fordECS2.gif

Welcome!

I've never seen that sticker before on a Puma, which isn't surprising, as it appears to be a US only thing, and as the Puma was never sold there, it makes sense that it wouldn't have one.

If you can track him down, there was a Brit who took his Puma to the US: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45e5e2pdjkw3ys6xl8GpJIJhKtAM2ZFJ

Hi and welcome !

Was the Cougar basically a Mazda/Ford joint project?

From what I remember, the cougar was based on the mondeo the same way as the puma was based on the fiesta :)

:cool: hello and welcome!

Good luck with the import!! Keep us updated with how you get on.

As for the sticker.. that looks like a US specific thing

Thank you all for the Welcomes. Lusid666 is correct. The 1996-2000 Mondeo and 98-02 Cougar are basically the same car mechanically with a different outer shell, and with some options differences in Europe vs the US.

There's technically probably a small connection to Mazda through the early evolution of the platform from past platforms, but its a pretty thin thread. Mazda did use the same motors in some of their vehicles, but that's more of a tech sharing arrangement than anything, as they were Ford motors from the beginning.

red said:
As for the sticker.. that looks like a US specific thing

I wasnt really expecting it, but I've read that sometimes the auto manufacturers will go ahead and build to US specs and install the sticker even if it doesnt ultimately end up being sold in the US. I figured it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Here's my first Cougar, an 01. I'm the original owner and probably the only owner it will ever have. Creeping up on 245K milesTop of the world 1(s).jpg
Here's my project car. Its in the process of receiving an engine swap now (3.0l Duratec). It has lots of goodies (LSD, ST200 Cams, big brakes, exhaust, etc) and will get more. This is going to be the car that I take out all my creative ideas on.
IMG_2695.JPG
It's going to be bright green when I'm done with it. For now, the engine bay and engine parts are green.
Engine installed.JPG
When I buy a Puma, I would like to get a Yellow one to match my first car (unless I stumble across a great deal on a FRP of course :wink: )

:cool: look forward to seeing the bright green Cougar!

Are you planning to import a LHD Puma from mainland Europe rather than a RHD?

That's a good question. I'm not hard set on either one, so I suppose when I'm ready to pull the trigger I will see whats available. Its honestly kind of fun to see a RHD over here, it gets a lot of attention at the car shows where someone might otherwise not realize what they were looking at.
The more I read about importing, the more I think I'm going to have to wait out the 25 year rule though. There's a possibility I might be able to import a FRP sooner if I can convince our government of its historical technical importance, but that's honestly a bit of a longshot.
I expect to spend most of this winter in Teeside, so I'll keep an eye out for good deals in the area while I'm there. If something great comes along I could just store it for a couple years before importing. That would give me a chance to stock up on spare parts :lol:

:thumbs: that sounds like a good plan.

I've heard importing cars newer than 25 years is tricky, there were stories of people misrepresenting the age of Land Rover Defenders to try and get them over (as they looked pretty similar before and after the 25 year mark)

Just thought I'd share this little milestone I hit on my '01 Cougar (The yellow one pictured above):
This is probably the last major milestone this car will hit.

Birth date was 3/26/01 so...

Avg 35 miles/day or 12,684 mi/year. A little more impressive since I was assigned to submarines for nine of those years and was usually gone for greater than 60% of the time. I also parked it for the last two winters.

I would say fewer than ten people have ever driven this car (probably closer to five), and my wife is the only person beside me to put more than a couple of miles on it.
quarter million club2.jpg

The only repairs have been normal wear and tear items (or rust related)...It's on its fifth fuel pump, third alternator, and second water pump and power steering pump. It's on its second starter but I diagnosed that problem wrong so it didn't actually need a new one.
It needs a second complete suspension rebuild I just haven't been able to squeeze it in yet.
I guess it did get a new steering rack while still under warranty but that was in 01 or 02 so I barely even count it.
The sunroof has been dead for six years or so, and I honestly couldn't even say the last time it had functional air conditioning.

Still on its original clutch, transmission, axles, engine, and wheel bearings. All original glass, original interior (not perfect), original headlights and tail lights. Original exhaust with the exception of gutting the pre-cats and replacing the main cat and flex pipe. I've replaced both fenders, one for customization and one due to damage and one mirror that got ripped off by melting ice but all the other body parts are still original.

It still pulls hard and smooth and is getting better mileage today than it ever has so I would say it has been pretty good to me.

Rust will end this car, most likely in the spring.

mmc757 said:
There's a possibility I might be able to import a FRP sooner if I can convince our government of its historical technical importance, but that's honestly a bit of a longshot.
It was a few years ago now, but I remember reading something about the US not requiring the destructive safety testing of large numbers of a foreign vehicle if that vehicle was part of a limited edition of (IIRC) 500 or less. That would cover the FRP, wouldn't it?

Tawny said:
mmc757 said:
There's a possibility I might be able to import a FRP sooner if I can convince our government of its historical technical importance, but that's honestly a bit of a longshot.
It was a few years ago now, but I remember reading something about the US not requiring the destructive safety testing of large numbers of a foreign vehicle if that vehicle was part of a limited edition of (IIRC) 500 or less. That would cover the FRP, wouldn't it?
That's partially right, production runs of under 500 are one of the wickets that need to be met, then you have to convince them (The US government) that there is something sufficiently unique or important about the car to justify the import. Its quite a process that was rammed into existence by Bill Gates when he wanted a new Porsche 959 but failed to understand the laws before he bought it and it ended up in customs hell...so he proceeded to buy off the right politicians to help him out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_or_Display
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a2117116/display-speed-under-show-or-display-exemption-americans-can-now-import-previously/

Not Puma, but I thought this group might get a kick out of my adventure this weekend:
SVT motor2.jpgSVT motor.jpg

This is an SVT Contour motor (ST200 Mondeo) that someone had no use for so he gave it away for free. I transported it in the back of my '01 Cougar.

I thought you had a rear engined converted cougar before I read what you had wrote 😂

Latest posts

Back