Just wanted to say Hello, but could do with some help

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Dub

First off hello everyone

I am trying to find a wiring diagram for a ford puma 1.7. I can't believe there's no Haynes manual available for the Puma!

I have just recently purchased a Ford KA to restore. I bought this blind as it was an abandoned project and stored in the corner of a workshop for four years. Once I had got it out of its hole I found that it's absolutely rotten. The good points is that it has a Puma 1.7 fitted but not exactly the way I want. It doesn't fire up as there has been bits robbed off it over the years. I have noticed that there's loads of things that need finished and I was thinking of just scrapping the project. I have bought last week a Ford KA sport with a knackered engine so I would like to keep the KA Sport as standard as possible but fit the Puma 1.7 lump.

Help with a wiring diagram for the Ford Puma 1.7 or where I can get one will be a massive help.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Good luck with the project. I've always thought it strange that Ford never put the Yamaha/Sigma (1.25, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7) engines in the Ka. Instead it always had the wheezy old pushrod 1.3. Then when the Sport came out they bored (stroked?) it to 1.6 rather than putting an existing Sigma in. I think Brazil got decent engines in the Ka body which proves it was feasible.

A 1.7 in the Ka would be fun, they are such good cars apart from the rust, much like the Fiesta and Puma. I guess the challenge comes from matching up wiring harnesses particularly whatever loom/harness controls cam timing for VCT engines into the ECU, which is presumably still mounted in passenger footwell.

I did buy the Ford workshop manual online via eBay for £10 or so, it's a bit clunky as it relies on an emulator to run Windows XP. I'm not sure wiring diagrams were included though, I will check.

Nice project,
That's guna be quite challenging I bet, the fiesta mk5 shares alot of wiring with the puma and may be more easily available?

we had a sportka for a good 5 years. What a cool little car it was, I really liked it alot ( although it was a bit girly). Only got rid as needed a bigger car.
I briefly owned a puma too but would of liked to drive the sportka with the puma engine.
I've currently got a fiesta with the 1.7 engine so that's pretty close I guess.

Little Dub said:
Help with a wiring diagram for the Ford Puma 1.7 or where I can get one will be a massive help.

You can get online floating around (not stricktly legal but given the age and the number of cars produced... :roll: ) a disk image of Ford TIS DVD for 2006. or something similar.
It will install on PC with XP or windows 7 (but it needs 32 bit system to work) and there you will find everything needed as it will cover both puma and ka... :wink:

Hope that helps,

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

I have just ordered a Ford TIS DVD, hopefully will be here before next weekend! Then I can get this to an auto electrician I know and hopefully he can come up with a plan of attack. If he cant figure out to use both harness to make one which does everything I want then its going to have to be an Emerald ECU (more cost that I was hoping to avoid at this point) but something that I was thinking of doing in a couple of years for the next stage.

Mean while I will hopefully have the Puma lump up and running this time next week depending on work load. I want to see it running before I take it out of the rusty KA and fit it into the better (still rusty but not as bad) Sport KA, if It don't start or wont run then I know its something I have done during the work I have done, not just a dodgy engine which hadn't been started for four years.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance of progress.

Latest posts

Back