Purist versus Mods

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevcat

Hello to all

I bought as a cheap run around with half an eye on it being a future classic. Fallen in love with the handling so I've decided I have a new hobby having never done a project before.

Puma thunder 51 in grey owner since January
Had it up on the ramp and it's worth saving
Bit of rust but nothing major, good floor pan, inner arches good.
Going for mot 19/03/20
It will need new shocks and top mounts and sill welding

My question is should I keep it original or mod it up
I am a purest at heart but was thinking it would be ok to upgrade the shocks and springs as they need doing at some point.

Opinions and recommendations welcome

Welcome to the site :eek:k:

My opinion is that it's what ever works best for you and for what your planning to do with the car long term.

As always, I say before any aesthetic modifications make sure it's in good running order, well serviced and all of the perishable rubbers and other consumables replaced.

You'll be amazed the difference some freshly service brake calipers and a fluid refresh can make. Top mounts and other rubber bushes will more than likely be a bit tired.

As for your suspension choice, what would you consider an upgrade? Looking to lower or become adjustable? More stiff?

Above all else, enjoy the car and have fun :)

Hi.
I can see where you are coming from. In the past I have restored MkI 60's Mini coopers to concourse show standard, even exporting two to Japan. I have also modified and customized cars. With my Puma I have backed it both ways, keeping it standard apart from bolt on bolt off bits, those being wheels, splitter and suspension changes which give me the look I am after but can easily and cheaply be changed back to standard. Best of luck which ever route you decide to take.

Regards,
Richard.

For an average car with no real prospects of ever being valuable or particularly special, I say modify to your hearts content. Build the car you want to drive.
Traditional car shows where the car is judged against its factory specs are unlikely to ever care about a Puma or give it any kind of fair chance against the more coveted cars out there.
The exception would be an FRP.

Quick update
MOT failed but only trailing arm bushes (already on order) and corrosion around offside rear suspension mount. So relatively cheap fix to keep on the road for another year, I will concentrate on all rust repairs then underseal before doing anything else.

Latest posts

Back