hopefully a puma owner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeco

Hi everyone we are actively hunting down a puma , we used to own a millennium many years ago.
The car we are looking at is a 2001 with 24k on the clock and looks mint, its not cheap but I am guessing you have to pay for a rust free car?
This car is a 1.6 originally wanted the 1.7 is there a vast amount of difference reliability wise?
Thanks for all the help
Lee

Hi and welcome along.
The 1.6 Zetec is a decent engine which has been fitted to many a Fiesta and Focus and has proven to be very reliable over the years...the TiVCT unit fitted to my Focus has never let me down.
However the 1.7 is the engine that suits the Puma the best,it revs more freely than the asthmatic feeling 1.6 and it pulls harder lower down,having a decent slug of useable torque.This is where the 1.6 really lags behind.

Thanks for the replies
Am I right in saying it would have been the same engine as a 02 plate zetec s fiesta we used to own many years ago?
What would be a sensible price with 24k on the clock and just 2 owners with no rust

Yes that's the same engine,essentially nothing wrong with it..just not the engine for the Puma..lol.
Price wise that's a difficult question.Prices are starting to creep up on the remaining clean examples,but they're not at the "desirable classic"status...yet.
Personally I wouldn't pay any more than £1500 for the car you're looking at..purely on the basis of it having the less desirable engine.
I think the original 1997-98 analogue dash models with the propeller wheels and fork mount rear shocks will be the ones to keep an eye on..a rust free,low mileage example would be worth tucking away IMO...although nearly impossible to find these days!!

Looking mint and being mint are very different things, over the years the things I've even seen described as mint have ended up being ropy.

The 1.6 shouldn't be any less reliable than the 1.7 and generally a bit more straightforward when it comes to cambelt change time due to the lack of VCT.

Value is a wide range anywhere between 1000-3000 I'd say depending on condition and service history

Welcome along!

I agree with Red in all respects. They’re no less reliable than the 1.7 and slightly easier to maintain, cambelt wise and oil & coolant leaks which the 1.7 is prone to. They can hide it very well from the outside so unless it’s been garaged and a summer only car it’s whole life I’d give it a detailed viewing before spending the current top dollar for one.

Most importantly, follow your heart <3

H

Latest posts

Back