Hello!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickNackUk

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to purchase a Puma, never owned one before but I remember Ford displaying them at the Royal Tournament in Earl's Court one year and thinking they were cool :cool:
Any hints or tips of what to look out for would be great, rust I think it's one of the main worries that I can see. I don't mind one that is in need of some work as I plan to have it as a bit of a project car to keep me busy :wink: Would also be looking to upgrade bits where possible for a bit more power and handling.
I have seen a Thunder advertised near me but with the current situation I've not been able to look at it, I'm hoping they will keep it for me for a bit longer.

Thanks :) Had been looking at a 2001 Thunder edition but it has been sold to someone else now, but from looking at the advice on here it might have not been the best for tuning as it would have had the wrong ECU type and the second lamda sensor.
If anyone knows of one for sale near Southampton let me know!

I'd try and find a car with good bodywork first and foremost. Changing the ECU isn't too hard, in fact Pumanoob (Errol) is going to help me change my DIVE to something else that can be remapped. This sort of work is in the region of £hundreds but sorting the sills, arches, wings etc runs into £thousands by the time you factor in spraying.

This is of course assuming you're as amateur as I am when it comes to bodywork/welding!

Another bit of advice would be to find a Puma that's lived a safe distance from the coast to stop the salty air getting at the body. Living in Portsmouth used to play havoc with my cars' metalwork but it's much better now I live in the Midlands.

Thanks for the advice, I'm a DIY'er but happy to learn new skills to fix things. Living in Southampton is going to be hard keeping away from the salty air but I'm not right on the coast.

Just gone to buy another Puma and someone had just put a deposit on it before me today. The advert had been up for weeks, I think I'm destined to not get one. :'(

Be patient they are around. If Sunak shuts down my furlough money then mine will be for sale I expect!

I've seen another one that looks to be ok but they want £2500 for it, its a standard 2001 model, but it's been looked after by an enthusiast (apparently).

I guess it depends on their opinion of 'being looked after' could be great or could still need expensive work.

Well looking at the mot history it has had leaking shocks and rusting brake lines, not much mention of rust. I wouldn't say it justifies the inflated price, but its being sold by a classic car dealership which might explain.

Latest posts

Back