Rear brake conversion from drum to disk. And now a grinding noise once after pulling away

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exstatic

OK so got a rear brake conversion kit from hi spec cost £2000 to build the front and rear. Excluding machanic costs. The front went on perfectly. Abs rings fit lovely. Now the rear was done today. I've had to leave the handbrake of because the cables they sent don't reach even tho it's designed specifically for the puma. Fuming... Anyway also the original abs rings that fit in the existing drum are to big for the new hub that converts it to calipers. That's not the only thing now when I pull away it kinda does a grinding noise once and pulls back a bit. I've spent so much on this car it's unreal. But it's got no rust, I've had it since 2016. Is this something to worry about. If I live it in gear when parked because no handbrake it seems to be worse. Grinding noise and pulling back. I've had the bearings changed but the abs rings are not in there

Are you sure the grinding noise isn't the ABS self test? Just a thought as it has confused others in the past (around 12mph it gives out a grindy type of sound), although I'm not sure what is pulling you back unless it is a break issue. :eek:k:

It would appear that the kit you bought is incorrect for the Puma, what an absolute waste of money! Have you considered sending the complete kit back for a refund?
There is plenty of very useful info on this site about brake upgrades that will potentially cost you almost 1/10th of your current spend and give you the stopping power that you need.

People have fitted rear discs to their Puma, and whether that is justified depends on whether it will be an out an out track car or a 200 BHP+ road car.
Other than that , fitting rear discs to a road car in my opinion is actually a disadvantage as they don't get worked hard enough to clean the rust off the discs in normal driving. Therefore you end up with less and less contact area for the pad to work on versus the surrounding rust. Modern road cars are regularly requiring replacement REAR discs because of this reason - corrosion.

The ST170 front discs work well, the selection of uprated brake pads for competition or track days would be my first port of call,which can then be swapped back to road going pads for daily use.

Where did you get this kit from? I don't recall HiSpec doing such a kit for a Puma and their website does not list them in their models.

I'd be checking that the kit was indeed for a Puma, it's a bit suspicious given the incorrect handbrake cable length.

I recently changed my hand brake cable, my drums and all the components inside with 125€. Including the mechanic. I usually drive quite sporty and it brakes just fine. Try to return the kit and instead, put new drums and it will be just fine.. i talked to my mechanic for you and drums don t need to be replaced every 30.000 km and they are more efficient than discs. It s just than they overheat if you use brakes constantly. So.. i recommend try to figure it out to buy a new brake kit or put new drums.

Latest posts

Back