New Puma - semi project - advice needed

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOwl123

So I have just bought my 2nd Puma (my first had to be scrapped 5 years ago 😭)

2001, 62k miles, decent original condition and seems to run OK. In Black.

The front passenger wing is rotten, with some rust down the passenger side as well. Firstly - is it easy to find a good replacement for the wing? Then are there any guides on what I can do to treat the rust?

I want to try and restore it to a decent condition and just keep it really. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm not the best with mechanics but both my brothers are!

Thanks all 😊

Hi there,welcome along.
With regards to your bodywork issues unfortunately there are no new wings available at the present time,so your best bet would be to source a solid second hand replacement.
The best way to treat rust is to cut out as much of it as possible and replace with new steel,although this can be tricky.
Another method is to grind back existing rust and then treat the area with a rust converter to stop it spreading...(Krust,Jenolite etc)you'll have to treat the inside of the panel as well for this to be effective.
Then its a case of fill and prime until perfect and ready for paint.
Painting is a case of blending the basecoat(in your case "Panther Black metallic") over the affected area and into the existing good paintwork,then re clearcoating the whole panel.This gives the best results and avoids the dreaded "dry overspray halo"around a repair area,which is a dead give away and never really polishes out,even if the colour is perfect!!
If you want some tips on painting catch Tony's refinishing on Youtube,he's very good.
Mechanically you,re in the right place.There's a quite a few knowledgeable and helpful members here...you only have to ask :grin:

Thanks Mad4Jags, that's really useful! I'm gettig it looked at tomorrow, so I'll known more on the condition. Got it for 700 quid, so don't mind spending a bit of time and money on it.

No problem,glad to be of help :thumbs:
Most of the time a Puma's bodywork is the main issue,some suffering rust more than others.
The mechanical side of things rarely throw up any major problems,they're a very reliable and fun little "go cart"if well maintained and cared for.
You'll enjoy it!!

Latest posts

Back