rear drums to discs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefroger14

So, I am always having trouble with poor hand brake and my garage said it is because i have 17" wheels, i know that wont help but it is really bad, like no hand brake.
I was thinking that disc conversion but I'm confused, Are there ABS compatibility issues.
I can get a rear axle complete with discs, callipers, hubs and cables from a 2008 ST 150
I take it it is not as simple as bolting the focus hub onto the puma beam

My question is renew the drum setup or go for the discs and does anyone using 17" wheels have the same problem ? Any advise would be great before i start spending cash.

Drums should still perform fine with 17" wheels. There are threads on here for the conversion but typically it's been said that's it's mainly a cosmetic upgrade.

Thanks i have heard that, the last MOT said the the rear brakes were very week and the handbrake was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
So I replaced everything and was ok for about 4 months and now the hand brake has gone to nothing again, The only parts I haven't replaced in a while is the drums and figured if I have to do the the whole thong again inc drums i may as well go do discs.
Not sure if is just the mk1 focus setup that works or would the parts from a later focus also work as I have found an axle from a 2007 model in amazing condition and a lot cheaper than replacing the current setup inc the drums.

Thanks for the help
Cheers Mike

Hi.
I run ST170 wheels on my Puma. I had a similar problem with poor hand brake performance. Eventually sorted it. It is a simple yet fiddly job of manually adjusting the a automatic adjusters....on and off with the drum and fine tune the adjustment. It works fine now. It is not doable if you have a lip on the drum, if you have a lip on the drum get an angle grinder and just remove it, better still put a slight champer on the edge of the drum as well. I have spoken to various mechanics in the trade and they say the auto adjusters don't work that well any way.

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the info, I would like to stay with the drums, I will go for new adjusters to be sure.

Thanks Mike

Latest posts

Back