The dreaded water in passenger footwell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeN

Good afternoon to everyone, hope someone can help me here. I have taken out the dashboard ( using the excellent guide on the site, many thanks for that), and have found where the leak is coming through, namely in the tightest angle up where the wiring loom comes through. It's so tight that I can't use a gun sealant as it won't fit. I have therefore ordered some liquid rubber and am aiming to apply this with a brush. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. My main query though is that when hose the windscreen the left hand plastic covered recess in the floor fills with water. Anyone know why? What are these things anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My car is a black '99 puma that I bought in 2017. Only done 56k, full main dealer history with me the third owner, the lady before me having had it since 2000. It has issues, I have recently had major welding to the rear but the inner wings don't have a spot of rust and neither does the body. After I sort out the leaks I will be fitting a leather interior so if anyone is interested in the existing cloth interior let me know. It has no signs of wear and overall is in really good condition. Notwithstanding the problems, all of them fixable for not too much, the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and I aim to keep it going for a few years yet.
Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help, many thanks.

Is it leaking in on the passenger side as you look at it? (assuming RHD), if it is this place then I think most people seal the grommet from the engine bay side.

Sounds like you're enjoying it and being kept entertained, having a project to focus on can be a good thing.

Good luck fixing the leak.

Thanks for the reply. The grommet itself isn't leaking, it's next to it where the original sealant I presume was put on to seal the various body panels has cracked and is now letting water in. A similar thing is happening lower down also on the passenger side, or nearside. Trying to apply the gutter sealant resulted in it sticking to everything, gloves, coat, whatever application tool I was using, but unfortunately not the metal work of the car. The liquid rubber is arriving on Wednesday so I am hoping for better success with that.

MikeN said:
My main query though is that when hose the windscreen the left hand plastic covered recess in the floor fills with water. Anyone know why? What are these things anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you rephrase so I can understand what you are trying to refer to , as It's currently unclear?

For awkward leaks in the past, I have used Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack cure. Its worked well for me in the past.
To prove its name isn't a joke, photo below.

Attachments

• Captain Tolleys.jpg
    Captain Tolleys.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,388
To Project Petrol Head. I've just re-read my post and I'm not surprised it's not clear. The recesses I was referring to are the three (on each side) oval shaped holes in the floor that have plastic covers on them. When I showered the windscreen using a hose the left hand one nearest the door filled with water. Hope I have made some sense this time.

Thanks for the info on Creeping Crack Cure. If the liquid rubber doesn't work that will be my next attempt.

Thanks Yog for the photo , as I have never needed to remove my carpet or sound deadening but can see the 3 floor caps MikeN was referring to.

Obviously the water has ended there after entering the cabin from elsewhere.

I have been recommended Creeping Crack Cure in the past to fix fibre glass panels that have crazing /splits. It's supposed to be for that and recommended by a few in the kit car world.

I would however use professional bodyshop seam sealer with a small artists brush to apply in the difficult areas. I imagine that's what was probably used in the first place in Fords plant.

DOH. as you probably guessed I've had a few Kit cars (6) over the years. I've only ever used Creeping Crack Cure for sealing things, it worked really well on stopping water ingress through the window seals on my Classic Mini.
I suspect Mike N's water leak may well be coming from where the wiring enters the cabin (under the pollen filter area). Having done a lot of research before purchasing my Puma, I gathered that was a possible leak area and actually checked it before buying my car.

Latest posts

Back