1997 Puma 1.7 - Worth Saving?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveDean

Hi All

So, I've been a long time fan of the Puma since my Mom bought hers in the early 2000s. She ran it for a few years, always garaged but stopped driving it around 2010. Since then its sat in her garage unused. 70,000miles unmolested. In the meantime its got covered in dirt, and shes lost the key. Is it worth saving? I'm such a fan of these cars, I have the V5 sat here on my desk in Scotland(the car is in Birmingham) but I cant work out whether to try and save it. So, questions.......

As far as I can work out I'll need to do the following:

1) Sort the missing key - find an ECU and full lock set? or can Ford help?
2) Clearly needs new cambelt before I touch anything else - Its probably beyond my skill, so will need to get it to a garage or mobile mechanic?
3) Tyres and all fluids
4) Somehow get it up to Scotland.

Can you guys think of anything else? Is it worth saving? It looks pretty rust free as far as I can tell, interior's in good shape. I'd hate to scrap it, I remember how much fun it was to drive, I could probably make use of it as a daily driver for the wife too. Be good to hear your thoughts.

If it's in good shape then certainly worth saving.

1. Lock smith could probably help, replacement ECU with locks and keys etc also isn't much money.
2. Yes 1.7 is a bit more complicated due to the VCT, if it isn't timed up properly it can cause bad running
3. Standard size tyres are quite reasonable
4. Drive it after 1-3 :lol:

As for anything else, just depends what's worn.

Thanks Red. It looks in good shape, no rust at least as it’s spent it’s life garaged. Is a new ECU and lock set my only choice or would Ford help?

Have you tried an automotive locksmith? The Tibbie keys used in this Era are relatively easy to cut new ones without having the original. I'd ring for quotes first and see if it's more cost effective to buy the blank from eBay.

Ford would be ridiculous money but I'm sure they too could do it.

Just for clarity, in my response the first part of #1 was to use a mobile auto locksmith and not replace the ECU if they will do it.

Hi.
If the car is in good shape, save it. With regard the key, if the key that has been lost has the transponder in it it will not be any good getting a new one cut as you need the transponder in the original key to start the car. No transponder ....no go. I should think the easiest route would be to pick up the correct ECU for the year together with the key for it from a scrapper. Good luck.

Regards,
Richard.+

Thanks Richard and Red. First job is to find a suitable ECU and lock set, then I’ll face the rest. I’ll update soon.

Latest posts

Back