Purchase Ford Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallon

I am looking at purchasing an 1998 Ford Puma with 101000 miles approx
The following items came up on last Mot Due again in July 2021
Near and Offside Headlight Lens slightly defective
Oil leak but not excessive
Nearside Rear Lower Suspension component
mounting prescribed area is corroded bur not excessive
Offside Front Lower Suspension component pin or bush slightly worn
Are all of the above easily rectified and at what cost?
I am assuming they have not been rectified
Subject to advise recd what should i offer
I thank you in anticipation for your advice and cooperation on these points raised

Hello, welcome to the site. Most of the answers depends on other factors and the subjectiveness of easy.

Headlights can be easily cleaned or replaced. Cost varies between £15 for some plastic cleaner and replacements vary by condition but possibly £100 a unit.

Oil leak is just a guessing game without seeing it, if it is from the rocker cover gasket then a competent DIYer can replace it. If it's something else like the sump then who knows, is it cracked, gasket, drain plug.. etc

The front suspension bushes are quite cheap to get replaced.

Rust is a different matter entirely, of course if can be welded but you would need to get it looked at for a guide price.

If I was a betting man (and I am) I would agree with Red and point at the rocker gasket. I bought an FAI pattern part for mine which was pants and then forked out for the proper Ford part so learn my expensive lesson.

The rust is harder to quantify. You really need to get underneath to assess. You can be sure it's not fixing itself either - it is a cancer spreading rapidly on almost all Pumas that haven't been attended to. Remember that what you can see (wheel arch scabs) is the tip of the iceberg and if you look behind rear trim inside the bodywork it will be worse.

I do wonder if it's better to shell out and buy a car that's had bodywork done, assuming it's been done well. I think this because it will be more expensive to pay someone to do the work than it will to buy a car that's had the work done. Just my penn'orth

Oh and suspension bushes - IMO it's cheaper to fit new arms complete with bushes and bottom ball joint, I got mine for about £15 a side and fitted them myself but it's maybe an hour and a half labour. Quicker than just replacing bushes.

I agree with all the previous replies, but it depends on whether you're looking for a cheap runabout or a decent car. If you are able to do the welding and the other work yourself, then depending on price it may work out Ok. I can't weld, but can do quite a bit of the other stuff myself, so I would be very wary. My cheap runabout Puma failed it's MOT on Monday, needing some welding, I'm having it done for just over £100, but have stripped out the rear door cards, to save the body shop the work, but the rust inside the sills is quite considerable, especially compared to my other Puma. Body work is an easy way to spend a lot of money !

Thank you all for your constructive and informative replies
Greatly appreciated
Will let u all know the outcome
Excellent forum and informative individuals

I'd be wary of buying any car that age with that little MOT unless I wanted a DIY project, which by your questions I'm guessung your not looking for.
You don't need to wait until an MOT is due to have a new test done, ask the seller to have it tested so you know what it needs now and not just what it needed a year ago.
If they're not willing to do that then either walk away or buy it REALLY cheap and expect to pay big bills.

Latest posts

Back