Just bought a Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Puma

Hi All,

After reading many reviews and test driving one finally bought a puma 1.7.

I have bought it from ebay, no previous history at all but it's in a very good condition, no rusts on the arches or the sills.

Is it worth putting the registration number here to see if anyone has got any information?

Unfortunately, on the way driving home after picking it up realised that the Speedo doesn't work and millage stuck around 52,000 not far off the mot history. Any thoughts on fixing the speedo, I am told it could be the sensor.

Secondly, it's fitted with 17 inch alloys, I was wondering is it worth keeping them or better off with the standard 15 inch.

Many thanks.

Welcome! What year is the car? Because there are two different types of speedo, for the 17's i think you don't have problems if your road haven't too much holes, in my country i have the 15 for this problem, but i have 15x8 very wide :lol:

Thanks. It's 2001. I found one on ebay but the seller is suggesting that to have a look at the sensor first.

Hi, Welcome.
Re the speedo, remove the sensor and put a cordless drill on, it if speedo works it is likely to be the plastic drive from the gear box. It is cheap and held in the gear box casting with a 4mm roll pin. The bad news is that it is almost impossible to get access to the pin, mine ended up being a gearbox out job.
https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/57/no/66/1915/16938/73448/ look at this.

Part no 6737567 or 6737568 depending on dates.

Regards
Richard.

Black Puma said:
Hi All,

After reading many reviews and test driving one finally bought a puma 1.7.

I have bought it from ebay, no previous history at all but it's in a very good condition, no rusts on the arches or the sills.

Is it worth putting the registration number here to see if anyone has got any information?

Unfortunately, on the way driving home after picking it up realised that the Speedo doesn't work and millage stuck around 52,000 not far off the mot history. Any thoughts on fixing the speedo, I am told it could be the sensor.

Secondly, it's fitted with 17 inch alloys, I was wondering is it worth keeping them or better off with the standard 15 inch.

Many thanks.

If it's SV51 YYR sold for £1000 ebay last month then a quick look at the MOT history shows serious rust issues. It's failed 7 times since 2013 due to rust, and those fails progressively get worse. Its been seriously patched up. That 52K mileage is for the birds as well. In the 2006 MOT it states just 4K miles, but fails the car on worn tyres. Sorry, but It's done a heck of a lot more than that.

Hi, yes, it's the reg as you have mentioned. Thanks for looking into in details. I didn't look into mot history closely that far back . No doubt, you are correct about the millage been fiddled with. As for the rust, one of the owner spent about over £400 on two occasions for the welding.

Despite whatever the millage it has done, interior seems to be in excellent condition also driving extremely well. Let's hope I don't get much surprise on the next mot.

Regarding the Speedo, I have changed the sensor still no joy. What should I be looking into next? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Check if the speedo is pulsing. You should get per on wheel revolution (of standard sizes 15") get 9 12V pulses out of it. Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmcsmmGCkI

This video is made on mondeo, but puma uses the same system so it applies. If that is in order, next check should involve wiring from VSS to instrument cluster

Thanks a lot for the info. I have checked the sensor from the ebay and my one both I am pretty confident now is in working order. Also wiring to the instrument cluster is good.

Next thing I am thinking of as Richard suggested is to have a go at checking and replacing the plastic drive gear.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi, Welcome.
Re the speedo, remove the sensor and put a cordless drill on, it if speedo works it is likely to be the plastic drive from the gear box. It is cheap and held in the gear box casting with a 4mm roll pin. The bad news is that it is almost impossible to get access to the pin, mine ended up being a gearbox out job.
https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/57/no/66/1915/16938/73448/ look at this.

Part no 6737567 or 6737568 depending on dates.

Regards
Richard.

Hi Richard, it's been established that the sensor is fine but the drive gear is not spinning. So I have the drive gear now but the mechanic was unable to remove the pin, it's a gearbox out job as you had mentioned. Any idea where can I get hold of one the pin. I had a look at the above link for it but couldn't find one. Many thanks.

Got everything fixed but unfortunately same week someone damaged the driver side wing and door. Again today someone damaged the sameside including the rear wing. It's most likely going to be written off. :-(

Black Puma said:
Got everything fixed but unfortunately same week someone damaged the driver side wing and door. Again today someone damaged the sameside including the rear wing. It's most likely going to be written off. :-(

There are some right arse holes out there. Two people crashed into my 5 series, one was a lad on an illegal electric trials bike in the dark with no lights on and the other was a side swipe whilst I was sat at traffic lights. Ruined the mirrors and scratched all down the side of the car. They never stopped. You can't win.

:shock: that's some terrible luck to have it damaged twice, if it's going through insurance then I'd expect rear wing damage would sadly cause it to be a write off. Depending on the actual damage you could always buy it back and repair it if you're attached to it.

Unfortunately Black Puma was written off. I went and got another one ( Green) , absolutely mint condition, no rusts, leather seats. Really enjoying it.

Also after reading many good reviews I've purchased a MG ZS 120, simply amazing car. If you haven't driven one, highly recommend to have a go. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

Back