HOW TO: Change accessory drive belt/v belt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Quick guide to help you change the drive belt on your Puma with A/C and without A/C

Parts you will need:

Either

Accessory Drive belt WITH air con - 1041194
or
Accessory Drive belt WITHOut air con - 1041193

Tools you will need:

13mm spanner, preferrably a ring one
8mm socket
19mm socket

First off, jack drivers side of car up and remove wheel.

Next you need to remove the weathershield

P1070392.JPG

If you look under and up you will see thisis held in my 2 8mm bolts, remove them

P1070385.JPG

once free look behind the plastic and undo the hose from the clips

P1070387.JPG

Withdraw the shield frmo the car

Take your 13mm spanner and place on the tensioner bolt, act as though you are turning the bolt in an anti clockwise direction and the tensioner should move freeing up tension on the belt

P1070389.JPG

I find it easiest to pull the belt off the waterpump pulley

P1070390.JPG

Take your new belt and fit around the pulleys depending on your configuration below

beltsac.jpg

beltsnoac.jpg

If im doing it on my own i find easiest to wrap around all the pulleys and leave the power steering pump until last, then slacken the tensioner and push over the pulley.

P1070391.JPG

Make sure the belt is seated correct on all pulleys, there are groove for the ribs in the belt to sit in. Worthwhile giving the engine a turn over with a 19mm socket on the crank pulley to check its all seated ok.

If all looks good refit the weather shield and wheel and job done.

Hi there...

quick question... when you turn the tensioner bolt anti-clockwise... does the actual tensioner actually move...or do you have to undo the bolt and then move it by hand...

apologies if the is an obvious question... still quite new...

Thanks

Brilliant guide. Just changed mine today and it was far more complicated than it first seems. I haven't changed an alternator belt before so maybe my lack of experience played a part in my difficult time?

The hardest part was wrapping the belt around the pulleys without it falling off them and causing me a serious headache.

Latest posts

Back