Swapping a non 3rd brake light bootlid for a boot lid with 1

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e3silversurfer

As DradusContact (DC for short :p) has been on about getting his boot lid, which does not have a 3rd brake light, swapped for a bootlid that has one, I have decided to do this little write up on the technical bits involved.

Materials/Parts

1) boot struts with male "Lucar" connectors on the top and bottom
2) boot lid with 3rd brake light
3) wire

Technical Write - up

This section is designed to make sure you understand how the boot light works before you start asking questions ;)

Firstly, the 3rd brake light draws it power from the driver's side tail-light cluster's brake light power line. therefore you would have to splice into that.

Secondly, the reason why there is only ONE WIRE we need to splice is because the boot lid has its GND, -IVE from one of the 4 brass/copper plates located near to the boot latch. this same plate is the common Ground for the rear wipers and the demister.

Thirdly, the boot strut on the driver's side is specially designed by ford to have 2 male LUCAR connectors. I would suggest you obtain them to avoid any DIY niggles

Lastly, it is unbelievable but Ford designed the power, electric current to flow through the boot strut, ie the boot strut is the medium used to carry the electric current from the driver's side brake light to the 3rd brake light. So please do not try and look for a wire ON or IN the boot strut.

Installation

You will need 2 people to do this job properly or if you can get 3 it might be faster and easier. Anyway, the more the merrier :)

Firstly, remove the current boot lid by removing the boot struts first. these can be removed by using a flat headed screw driver to pry out the retaining clips on the boot strut themselves (warning: do not over pry them. you will end up with having to spend loads of time trying to fit them back when they spring out)

After you have done that, proceed to remove the boot lid by engaging the 4 nuts at the hinge of the boot lid. these should come off with ease and if you prefer, get the hinge area cleaned before reinstalling the boot lid. Whilst removing the nuts, get your friends/assistants/helpers to hold the 2 sides of the boot lid so that it does not fall off and break your spine.

When you are satisfied with the cleanliness of the hinge area, proceed to install the boot lid with the 3rd brake light. you might wish to copper grease the bolts before you begin. re bolt the boot lid, taking note of the position of the spring plate at the hinge. When that is done, replace the boot struts and connect the LUCAR connectors.

to connect the Lucar connectors, you would have to splice into the brake light wire at the operator side. the wire should then be fed under the boot water seal area and crimped onto a Lucar FEMALE connector and connected to the base of the driver's side boot strut.

You have now successfully completed the install of your new 3rd brake lighted boot lid :)

Disclaimer

Work carried out is at your own risk, I am not responsible for any injuries/damages/destruction/whatever else you can list here :p Happy modding :)

Additional info:

Yes, you can fit a boot lid into your puma if you are driving your puma to collect it. I have done it and proven it. simply remove(yes, remove. NOT FOLD DOWN) your rear seat (only the top bit) and make sure you have loads of rags for cushioning :)

I managed to get it in with the rear seats folded down. It was a very tight fit, the passenger seat had to go quite far forward, and there was only a inch of clearence under the rear glass, but it went in.

Elvin; forgot to say thanks for this guide, added it to the sticky list!

Thank you thank you thank you... been pissing around with mine for weeks. now i know were the live is....

Latest posts

Back