Spark Plug change? Air & Pollen filter change?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daz_zz_er

Hi guys!

I am a novice at working on my car. I want to service it myself soon, I've seen the guide for changing Oil and Filter but can't see a guide for doing spark plugs and air and pollen filter.

Could anyone link me up if there is a guide? Or if not tell me how to do it? :) When I do my service I'll try take pictures and do a little guide for basic servicing.

Thanks!

Okay, below in the picture, there an area circled in red. Thats where the pollen filter is, right underneath the scuttle panel.
Two clips just pull up and you pull out the old pollen filter replace with new, close lid and make sure both clips are locked closed.

Spark plugs
Remove 9 silver bolts with a number 4 IIRC allen key
Remove plastic cam/rocker cover.
Pull off all 4 ignition leads
20mm IIRC deep socket is requred to remove spark plugs.

Then reverse to re assemble.

1-7_zpsd1569944.jpg

if in doubt buy the fiesta haynes manual,although it doesnt cover the 1.7 it gives you the basic info as the engines are similar

And if like mine, you may need to eat a few Weetabix before you try and get the spark plugs out :cry:

SENATEpumA said:
And if like mine, you may need to eat a few Weetabix before you try and get the spark plugs out :cry:

But dont be too rough with them... you don't want them snapping in half on you and then you're in a whole other world of hurt...

2 points there,

1, probably best to pull off 1 lead and change the plug then replace the lead then do the next etc.. that way you can be sure not to mix up the firing order.
2, when you put the new plug in dont over tighten them, you only need to wind them down finger tight then give them a little nip to seal them, i have seen a few heads with stripped threads in the past from people cranking the plugs down too tight

very true but im old school, too used to doing them on old cars and lets face it, they are a bugger if you do get them mixed up and have very little or no experiance with engines etc.

lusid666 said:
very true but im old school, too used to doing them on old cars and lets face it, they are a bugger if you do get them mixed up and have very little or no experiance with engines etc.
I can relate to that.

I changed the leads and spark plugs on an old 'X' reg Cavalier I used to have. I got the leads muddled up and took me ages to work out how to get them right!

Once bitten and all that.....

Latest posts

Back