Fitting a splitter to standard bumper

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublustu

I have been looking for a splitter to fit a standard Puma bumper (FRP ones stick out too much for my liking)
I found one, via this Forum, through member Richard Mansfield 2.
Which arrived this week, complete with fitting kit.
This is high quality and looks nice and strong, the fitting kit is quite simple but makes the fitting very easy.
I thought ahead, got my camera ready and have done a wee photo story.
(this is my first how to guide, sorry if it goes on a bit)

The first thing I did was to remove my bumper, I decided I could be a lot more precise with my measurements with the bumper on my "bench"

Fitting kit unpacked and checked. (1 bolt was too short, so i found a replacement)
Contents - 12 M6 setscrews and nylock nuts
2 Angle brackets
8 penny washers
8 "half-moon" penny washers
Basic instuctions

Next I removed the rubber skirt by pulling the remaining metal cips off with pliers and popping the rivets out with a small screwdriver to push the pin out from the rear (save these for later)

Now, after a quick clean up, I drilled 8 holes (6mm) in the lugs that hold the skirt at the ends of the bumper. I used the half moon washers to ensure I got my holes just right (if id have been under the car i couldnt have been as precise)

Next, I covered a good proportion of the splitter with masking tape to protect it from scratches and mark the splitter for drilling.
Then I moved from my "bench" to a nice flat garage base and with the help of a glamorous assistant I lined the bumper up exactly with the splitter and marked through my 6mm holes for where to drill the splitter
I would have never managed this with bumper fitted!

Once the holes were drilled I fastened the splitter to the bumper with 2 bolts and marked the bumper and splitter where the two angle brackets were to go (I checked all my other holes were aligned too)

With this done, I removed the masking tape and fastened all the bolts up tight (the half moon washers fit above the bumper lugs)
IMPORTANT fasten the brackets to the splitter before bolting it to the bumper or you cannot get to the screws with the bumper in the way

This is where the provided instuctions end, and the splitter is indeed fitted.
But there is a big ugly hole between the bumper and splitter in the middle.

So, I took my original skirt and cut it to fit the gap and go just past the first lug.
then using the original clips I fastened the new skirt to those lugs and used my rivets to attatch the top edge. I need 3 more rivets as some were missing. It looks miles better..

So then it was just a case of putting the bumper back on.
Result :cool:

There you go, I am very happy with the results.
Thanks again Richard, this is good piece of kit :grin:

I hope this is helpful to anyone looking to fit a splitter.

Very nice. I bet that workbench is a bit of a bugger when you have to start hammering stuff :lol:

Very nice indeed sir..
Would you have a link of were to purchase such a splitter?

Hello Dwighet.

Firstly, I should point out i am in no way associated with either the manufacturer or seller of these items.
I just bought one and have tried to explain about the fitting sequence.

I bought the kit via this forum, through member RICHARD MANSFIELD2.
You would be best to message him directly.
If you search the members list and tap the P.Msg button by his name.
Im sure he would be happy to hear from you.

I hope my guide proves useful to you, Stu...

trublustu said:
Hello Dwighet.

Firstly, I should point out i am in no way associated with either the manufacturer or seller of these items.
I just bought one and have tried to explain about the fitting sequence.

I bought the kit via this forum, through member RICHARD MANSFIELD2.
You would be best to message him directly.
If you search the members list and tap the P.Msg button by his name.
Im sure he would be happy to hear from you.

I hope my guide proves useful to you, Stu...
Richard was on to me first thing this morning.
The splitter is on the to do list..got a few more jobs to sort on it before cosmetics. but will be getting one for sure.. all Im looking for is a small rear spoiler now and im set..

Thanks for the reply

A quick epilogue...

I was at a Blyton Park trackday on Saturday and can report that the splitter performed perfectly.
Performance wise, there was noticeably more stability in the high speed corners.

Also, I hit 95 time after time and went airborne at The Ump a good dozen times
the splitter shows no signs of wear or fatigue, same with the fittings.

Now I think i need a diffuser to match...
watch this space :wink:

Hi Stu,
I am glad that the splitter worked well. If you would like to contact me with a design for your diffuser I can not see a reason why I may not be able to manufacture one for you.
Regards
Richard

Hello again Richard.
I have nothing but positive comments about your splitters.
I will probably mod it slightly and update this thread accordingly, but out of the box its been great.

Thanks for the offer regarding manufacturing a diffuser from my plans.
I had been thinking if using 2mm aluminium as it will probably be a work in progress (ally will bend and bend again!!)
once I get a final design i would be happy to share what I have with you with a view of producing a bolt on unit for the market.

The car and I will be at Fordfair, I hope to have something knocked together by then. If you are going then we can have a chat properly with the car/diffuser in front of us. I hope to see you there...

Great guide stu. We've just bought one off Richard now so this guide will come in mighty handy. Did you take the plastic trim off as well, above the splitter?

Hi Stephen.
I hope the guide helps in fitting your splitter.
In answer to your question. No, all I removed was the rubber skirt thing.
The black bumper part 6" above the splitter (which is what I think you mean) is a pig to get off without bending the clips.
If you do want to change the black bumper part (they do get dented/scuffed easily) this is a good time to do it.
You would need to remove the lower gill first.
Just be very careful with the clips and it'll go back together properly.

To just fit the splitter it can stay where it is :eek:k:

Back