2ltr mondeo throttle body fitting guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn_

Ive had a 2ltr throttle body fitted to my Puma for a few months now so I thought it was about time I did a fitting guide.

The 2ltr mondeo tb is on the left.

Firstly you have to turn the throttle position sensor round cause it catches the manifold and you can bolt the tb down.

I trial fitted the tb to make sure the engine would rev and idle ok.

There is a bit of difference in size between the tb and the inlet manifold.

There is a bit of alloy to come off the inlet manifold. Obviously this is with the 2ltr tb fitted to the manifold.

Next I swapped the throttle linkage over. I had to drill out the plastic part cause the stud for the 2ltr th is fatter and its not a ditect fit. The stud for the standard tb is to small and wont bolt into the 2ltr tb.

This is how the 2ltr mondeo tb linkage looks.

So off with the manifold

I used a drill and a small stone wheel (is that the correct word).

Then I used a circular sanding wheel to smooth the the hole out.

Then I fitted the tb to the manifold.

Then I fitted it all back on the car and hey presto.

So off with the manifold

I used a drill and a small stone wheel (is that the correct word).

Then I used a circular sanding wheel to smooth the the hole out.

Then I fitted the tb to the manifold.

Then I fitted it all back on the car and hey presto.

The car does seem quicker. Ive also got a cone filter fitted too. The fuel economy isnt the best lol. If you want more power you gonna use more fuel.

Of course you are. But even with modified engine in everyday's opeartion you can't be faster all the time. That is what I was reffering in terms of fuel economy :cool:

Does anyone know the finis number for the original 2ltr Mondeo mk1 Throttle Body gasket?

Saves trimming a puma one.

Cheers

Ally

When i done mine I removed the Puma spindle from my original 1.7 T/B and put the spindle shaft onto the 2ltr one. Then I could completely change over the Puma linkage without modifying the plastic arm by drilling a larger diameter which is obviously weakening the assembly. Keeps it nice and smooth as well as the spindle from the Mondeo is longer so Puma linkage gear can move along spindle shaft.

Only issue is I had to get a tap inserted to make up the size difference for example i went from an M6 to a M8 brass insert.

Just gives people another option of doing this conversion.

Cheers

Ally

I could of done this but I did the conversion at home with what tools I had lying about. My throttle is nice and smooth too.

Can someone tell me what Mondeo throttle body to use please? I know its a 2ltr but from what year does the throttle body have to be? Or can you use just any Mondeo 2ltr throttle body?? Cheers Rik

I had no issues with the tps when fitting mine, but looking at your pictures you have a different tps than I do.
Here is mine, original throttle body.
IMG_20220805_230435_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
Mondeo 2.0 throttle body.

IMG_20220805_230446_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg

Mmm… mute point.
I had a stock TB machined out by 4mm diameter, had to CAREFULLY blend the manifold to it as the alloy gets a bit thin but it made no difference to a stock motor.
Went bigger on a tuned 1.7 with a decent map and some flowing to the head. Actually had to have a sleeve made because we went past the OD of the original throttle body.
Helped a little with higher RPM but bottom end and midrange was pretty much the same.
One of those diminishing returns things I reckon.

Latest posts

Back