How to change the Fuel Filter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
How to change the Fuel Filter

Difficulty: 2/5

Time: 30 mins

Tools: N/A

Parts: Fuel Filter

Prerequisites:

The car must be in a suitable position so that you are able to work underneath the car safely.

Procedure:

1. Remove the fuel cap to release pressure (optional)

2. Release the clip (as pictured)

fuel-filter-unclipped.jpg

3. Push the tabs in on each pipe and pull them off

4. Connect the new filter and clip it in place (as shown below)

fuel-filter-clipped.jpg

Notes:

To change it you need to be aware that fuel will leak out unless you have a suitable bung.
If you have a bung then put it into/onto the pipe once you have completed step 3.

Edit: 04/11/10:
YOG said:
Fuel Filter change is 6 years/60,000 miles.

if rusted then spray clip every morning for a week or 2 with wd40
gently rotate filter back & forth & spread clip

(mine took a bit of persuading!!!!)

This is a very quick and easy job for DIY.

The filter location is such that you dont need to jack it up, or use stands (although that would make it easier), but it can be reached just by lying alongside the car - it is only about 8 inches in from the edge.

red said:
Notes:

To change it you need to be aware that fuel will leak out unless you have a suitable bung.
If you have a bung then put it into/onto the pipe once you have completed step 3.

I noticed that when I did it... the 'pipes' seem to have a valve device that stops it running out from them. The little plastic white caps from the new filter can be used to block the spigots on the old one to stop any leakage.

mmmm.....no rusty pipe near mine. I'm thining they might be the brake line pipe cover sleeve.

When I undone my clip it was of no use so I used a jubilee clip to refit mine which is much stronger - and easier to undo in future!! (If I remember correctly it was a 60mm clip but not 100%)

yippeekiay said:
When I undone my clip it was of no use so I used a jubilee clip to refit mine which is much stronger - and easier to undo in future!! (If I remember correctly it was a 60mm clip but not 100%)

Done mine today. A 4 inch jubilee clip was perfect size.

i did one recently, the petrol does spray a little, but does stop one removed from fuel filter

haGGard said:
Yes but why? Its a bit of a bodge and a jubiliee clip is only a quid, if that...

Because the last person that did my filter used one.

Cable ties would work ok as you mention but i'd be more wary about it breaking.. i've used cable ties on my motorbike before to hold the rear hugger on after I lost a bolt... it lasted about 20 miles :D

I better get to B&Q for a 4 inch jubilee clip then and do this filter today.

Finally got mine done today, probably didn't need it because the fuel that came out of the filter was clean, no gunk. Got rid of the cable tie and used a jubilee clip. Most of the fuel that spilled came from what was in the filter, took off the filler cap first which probably helped and I'm almost sure I put it on the wrong way, if I put it on backwards does the car only drive in reverse? :)

Latest posts

Back