how to fit my racing puma cold air feed to standard puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

pumajay was adamant we could fit one of my racing puma cold air feeds (sits behind the passenger side mesh in bumper) to his standard puma....so out came the dremel!

will get some pics up soon (jay took them all! feel free to add them in mate) but basically....

place my vent in desired location behind bumper on passenger side
draw around it
cut out approx 5-10mm INSIDE the pencil line with dremel
tidy up with dremel sanding bit for round corners
flatten straight bits with a file
bond my cold air feed in (possibly behind some mesh (colour coded?)) with silicon

or drill 3 big holes etc...

please see page 7 of pumajays projectpuma thread

you need a racing puma / modified lower airbox tho as the ducting from the feed goes straight to that....

typically sell the cold air feeds for £40 as the ducting is expensive but think iv found a cheaper supplier....

Jay's looks smart, only thing I thought of though, is that because the duct is actually pointing to the front of the car, couldn't this lead to the pressure difference actually sucking air out of the airbox? This was also something that concerned me about leaving the original ducting in place.

Very much just a question and not a criticism!

dont know! due to the packaging restraints its left a vent that has to suck from the side of the car kinda parrallel to the tyre tread.... so as air hits the vent it would generate a high pressure area, which the ducting sucks directly from at 90 degrees. its all rounded / flowed to make the best of it but it also means debris etc hit the back wall of the vent rather than being scooped up the ducting. it then has to pass around a sweeping 90 degrees along the ducting to the frp airbox as it has to go around the wheel...

lots of theory! but basically in practice it makes a nice noticeable difference! its my mk2 version, the first fed from the centre grill and that was freer than not having a cold feed but this is much better. wont be making a mk3 version....

also by using the frp box's additional feed it leaves the original side feed free, very useaful for driving through floods! as the engine will suck from the vent with least resisitance...the side one. which also means the high pressure spot on the cold air feed does work as it makes a difference...if it didnt work the engine would still suck from the side vent etc and there'd be no difference...

drove mine through a foot of flood the other summer, didnt cause a problem at all, except to the clutch as water got in there it was that deep!

the other mod jay talks about is an insert iv made to 'flow' / round out the edges of the internal surfaces of the airbox, this itself feels to add a bhp or two. he has my prototype carbon fibre / foam filled version, im running a 2nd evolution from fibreglass as it forms a little neater, also has a mod to the outside to run 18'' wheels and the original air feed has a trumpet on too.

hoping i can make these to sell fairly soon, working on the insert for the top half of box at mo so will be sold in sets....

my last vent is going on ebay 2nite or 2mrw nite as 'puma cold air feed'. getting too much interest & only have 1 at mo. when i get a quiet spell will make some more (at this rate will be putting my 6th form onto it!!!)

Latest posts

Back